[SOLVED] i9 9900k idle temp question

Ij6969

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
Hey, i have a 9900k with a corsair h100i on noctua fans running at 600rpm at idle the system is extremely quiet which i like but the idle temps are questionable i get 36-40c sometimes it randomly spikes to 50c for a split second then drops back down. load temperatures max out at about 75c and it has never went past that. i do have a 4.9ghz all core overclock. For me it seems questionable as i used to have a 2700x with the same cooler on a 4.2ghz overclock idling at 27c. not really worried just wondering if this is normal or not. thanks

Solution
Whoa, it's not fair to compare those 2 cpus like that. They don't have that much in common.

There's no avoiding those spikes, unless you kill Windows.
Those temperatures are a reflection of a bunch of different variables going on at once:
-the temperature of the H100i's air source.
-how well the H100i's fans are moving air though the radiator and chassis airflow in general.
-voltage settings.
-load line calibration.
-power plan.
-background activity. Activity from the OS is unavoidable, and the more 3rd party software that's running will likely see more spikes and higher temperatures.

What you're seeing is 'your normal'.
Nothing questionable about 36-40C. Every now and then there's folks with worse than that.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Whoa, it's not fair to compare those 2 cpus like that. They don't have that much in common.

There's no avoiding those spikes, unless you kill Windows.
Those temperatures are a reflection of a bunch of different variables going on at once:
-the temperature of the H100i's air source.
-how well the H100i's fans are moving air though the radiator and chassis airflow in general.
-voltage settings.
-load line calibration.
-power plan.
-background activity. Activity from the OS is unavoidable, and the more 3rd party software that's running will likely see more spikes and higher temperatures.

What you're seeing is 'your normal'.
Nothing questionable about 36-40C. Every now and then there's folks with worse than that.

Solution