[SOLVED] i9 9900k on a Z370 board

stanley88845

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
I was looking at getting a 9900k for my Gigabyte Aorus Z370 ultra gaming 1.0. I was looking at this as for the price, this is a great upgrade coming from an 8600k, as I can get a 9900k for less than £300 meaning the upgrade would only cost me around £200 if I sell the 8600k, This saves me from having to buy a new motherboard and sell the old one. Now I know that a 9900k will work in a Z370 board, but how well will it work, what will overclocking be like, how much performance am I losing out on by not getting a Z390 board and would vrm cooling be necessary?

Solution
your motherboard's product support page should have a QVL list of compatible CPUs and what BIOS exactly is needed to support them.

performance-wise the only thing you may be missing out on is PCIe bandwidth options on the later series motherboards.
possibly less M.2 slots available depending on how many GPUs or SATA drives are installed.
also maybe less available RAM. instead of 256GB maybe only 64\128GB, which is still more than any average user would ever bother with.

just look up the Z370 & Z390 on the Gigabyte site and compare them to see the actual differences.

if you've been getting along fine without specific VRM cooling this far, it won't change in the future by changing the CPU.
as long as you have good case airflow and a...
your motherboard's product support page should have a QVL list of compatible CPUs and what BIOS exactly is needed to support them.

performance-wise the only thing you may be missing out on is PCIe bandwidth options on the later series motherboards.
possibly less M.2 slots available depending on how many GPUs or SATA drives are installed.
also maybe less available RAM. instead of 256GB maybe only 64\128GB, which is still more than any average user would ever bother with.

just look up the Z370 & Z390 on the Gigabyte site and compare them to see the actual differences.

if you've been getting along fine without specific VRM cooling this far, it won't change in the future by changing the CPU.
as long as you have good case airflow and a decent CPU cooler you should have no new problems with excess heat.

Solution

stanley88845

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020

as long as you have good case airflow and a decent CPU cooler you should have no new problems with excess heat.
Just updated my bios ready for this upgrade. Those lost features I am not bothered about at all. The cooler I'm going with will be great for the 9900k, the ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420 and that also will help with cooling the vrms. My BeQuiet Silent Base 802 has great airflow too. Hopefully this upgrade will all go well!