Question i9 9900k paired with an msi z390-a-pro

Crimson42

Reputable
Oct 22, 2019
hi guys i recently purchased a new rig and without doing enough research bought an msi z390-a-pro motherboard so would this mobo be fine for an i9 9900k at stock? ive had the pc for 2 weeks now and have noticed freezing in games and random moments when programs take longer than usual to open .The motherboard is only 4 phase but i dont plan on overclocking on this board so do you think its instability caused by the mobo. i also set an offset of -0.9v as the vcore on auto voltage was running at 1.42v on load just from games.

full system specs:
i9 9900k
msi z390-a-pro
gtx 1080
ssd(os)
hyperx fury 2x8gb(3200mhz)
cosair cx650m

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Agreed with CountMike, nothing wrong with GPU with that CPU.
Also I'd reset BIOS to default stock, realistically 1.52V is the max Vcore for the 9900K.
Board should be fine without overclocking.

Have you monitored temps under load?
Do you have latest drivers installed (direct from manufacturer, not using a driver updater app)?
Do you have latest BIOS installed?

Crimson42

Reputable
Oct 22, 2019
latest bios installed and drivers are updated from msi website also reinstalled gpu drivers. i did not try any cpu stress tests except intel xtu test and temps where around 80c 100% load after 1 hour. during gaming temps are normally 67c-75c(except in ac origins temps spike to 80c but average 72c).

Last edited:
(I'll assume the VCore offset was .09V, not .9V) :)

Let's check for stability at default everything, leave RAM clocks at conservative default 2133 MHz (1066 DDR), and we can crank up in XMP to 3200 MHz later, if stable...

Hard freezes often RAM related, might want to have a 6 hour run of MemtestX66 and see if any errors found....

Was this a fresh build/full install from scratch, and not a 'install new hardware and reboot'? All mainboard drivers/GPU driver packages installed after WIndows install?

Temps ok? (Its should throttle anyway, not freeze....leave VCore at default when initially testing)

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Gpu has nothing to do with fps. That's all on the cpu. The cpu pre-renders every single frame long before it is sent to the gpu. The gpu then finish renders the frame according to detail settings and resolution. You can run the igpu on the 9900k and still be good for almost every task a normal homeowner will see, except gaming or other gpu intensive tasks like editing, streaming etc, which can still be done by the cpu, depending on the software used.

At 1080p/60Hz you could easily pair a GT1030 with a 9900k and be perfectly happy with the results, a stronger gpu just means the ability to DO more, not the ability to GET more since the cpu is what's setting fps limits.

At Op, while that board is technically 4 phase, it uses 2x sets of mosfets, one on the high side, one on the low side, in effect splitting the workload per phase. But it's still a budget mobo and not totally suited for the power draws a 9900k can yield in some situations. Neither is a CX650M.

I would definitely overclock the cpu, but not in the way you normally think. For the speeds, I'd leave turbo alone at stock values, but definitely look more into vcore, vid, ring voltages, LLC etc. They'll all have to balance for what the cpu is actually using/needing vrs what it demands. A -0.9v offset vcore without balancing the rest can be whats destabilizing things

Crimson42

Reputable
Oct 22, 2019
Yeah this is a brand new build except the gpu that was moved from previous rig. i installed all drivers of the manufacturers sites and reinstalled gpu drivers. i also noticed when i minimize games that have 50% or more cpu usage that if i try and navigate through files or just try and open other programs the pc will get micro stutters or take longer than usaul to open those programs however if i go back into the game it will run smoothly. will try downclocking the ram and running memtestx66 as the hyperx fury auto overclocks to 3200mhz based on board specs.Temps normally average 70c-75c during gaming.