[SOLVED] i9 9900k Power Revving to 100%

Apr 3, 2021
My cpu will randomly power spike up to 100% usage for a couple of seconds and go back down to normal power usage. The temp will spike to around 88-91 degrees for a second or two and go back down. I'm not sure what the culprit of the spikes are. I tried underclocking to 4.7ghz, tried different power management modes, and multiple apps to monitor whats causing this. Any advice to what could be causing this? It'll happen randomly and some days it wont happen at all. From playing csgo to watching hulu/youtube it'll power up to 100% usage for 2~ seconds and go back down. I use hwinfo, windows gamebar, and task manager to monitor temps and what apps would be causing the spikes but I found nothing. I'm not sure but I'm beginning to believe its my PSU from a previous build. It's an EVGA G2 750w from a build I built back in early 2015. Any and all info is much appreciated, thank you.

Solution
OK, I'd not worry about what might be momentary overshoots as load/voltage levels are adjusting...

The D15 is about as good as they come on air coolers. (If you'd rather not see the individual cores spike, you can always specify slightly lower single core turbo maximums in Intel's XTU is desired, certainly the single, dual core usage spikes are not relevant under gaming/production workloads anyway...
CPU usage as measured within task manager (nothing to do with 'power', per se) within WIndows spikes from 1% to anywhere from 10,28,57, to 100% usage several times per minute...

All normal. (89-91C for background desktop usage seems a tad high, of course, but, as no one knows what cooler you are using, even that might be expected with a smallish AIO or single stack air cooler for a cooling solution)

Apr 3, 2021
CPU usage as measured within task manager (nothing to do with 'power', per se) within WIndows spikes from 1% to anywhere from 10,28,57, to 100% usage several times per minute...

All normal.
Thanks for the reply, it's safe if my cpu sits at 91~ degrees for a few seconds? Scared about long term performace

89-91C is tad high (in my opinion) unless running Prime95 testing...; what are temps at load under all core turbo in a 10-15 min duration run of CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU, for instance?
(91C might be semi-acceptable if that is just the peak temp of a single core or two when boosting to 5.1 GHz, however; perhaps combined core temps at lower all-core turbo speeds of 4.7-4.8 GHz will be lower)

What is your cooling solution?

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021
89-91C is tad high (in my opinion) unless running Prime95 testing...; what are temps at load under all core turbo in a 10-15 min duration run of CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU, for instance?

What is your cooling solution?
Hitting high 80s low 90s post stress test. im using a noctua d15 as cooling. Currently under all factory settings. It wont hit 90s under regular usage, just when the power spikes occur.

OK, I'd not worry about what might be momentary overshoots as load/voltage levels are adjusting...

The D15 is about as good as they come on air coolers. (If you'd rather not see the individual cores spike, you can always specify slightly lower single core turbo maximums in Intel's XTU is desired, certainly the single, dual core usage spikes are not relevant under gaming/production workloads anyway...

Solution