Question I9-9900k turbo boost not working

iroyal31

Reputable
Sep 30, 2018
I recently ran a userbenchmark test and found that my cpu is drastically underperforming (it scored in the 4th percentile.) This didn't really surprise me as I've been seeing worse performance in games than I feel like I should given my computers specs, but always figured maybe I had just set my expectations too high. I ran the test again with msi afterburner open to see if I was maybe thermal throttling or something. Temps peaked at 54°C, so obviously no thermal throttle. What I did notice however is that it never left the base clock frequency of 3.6GHz on any of the cores. I also saw that the max power consumption only hit 65w, and to my understanding it should be like 150 or so. After a suggestion from someone on my reddit post I ran a cpu-z stress test. During that test saw only 3600MHz clock speeds and only 55W power draw. I have never done any sort of overclocking on either my cpu or gpu. My bios settings should be set to whatever the default is aside from xmp enabled for ram. Ive double checked every bios setting I could find related to the cpu at all to make sure it was set properly. Windows power settings are set to 100%. Anyone have any ideas as to what may be stopping my cpu from boosting or getting enough power (I assume one is causing the other.) At this point i am leaning towards maybe psu not supplying enough power, but id prefer to exhaust other options before buying a new one. Please ask any questions or give any suggestions you may have ty.
Pc specs
I9-9900k
Asus prime z390-A
Rtx 3080-ti
Samsung 970 evo
4x8GB 3200 mhz corsair ram
Evga 750w 80gold psu

Lutfij

Titan
BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time? What are you using to cool that processor? EVGA is the brand of the PSU while 750W is the advertised wattage for the unit. 80+ is the advertised efficiency rating for the unit, what is the model of the unit and how old is it?

Reactions: iroyal31

iroyal31

Reputable
Sep 30, 2018
BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time? What are you using to cool that processor? EVGA is the brand of the PSU while 750W is the advertised wattage for the unit. 80+ is the advertised efficiency rating for the unit, what is the model of the unit and how old is it?
Bios version is currently 1502, I should definitely update that. Cooler is a 240mm corsair h100i pro. Psu is an evga supernova 750 g2, about 5 or 6 years old now.

iroyal31

Reputable
Sep 30, 2018
Updated bios. That was certainly the issue. But it does lead to a follow up question, now it appears all cpu cores are clocked around 4700-4900 full time(even at idle), is that normal? Shouldn't they be changing up and down as necessary? My only concern with that is im at 45°C at idle which is a bit high. With a quick cpu-z stress test (5 seconds at most) I saw power peak up to 133w and temp spike to 91°C. I've been planning kn upgrading my cooler anyway as it has sort of outlived its theoretical life span, it's also 5-6 years old. Either way, thank you for the response, one of those simple things that are sometimes easy to overlook.