[SOLVED] i9 vs i7 for gaming

Jakeowar

Honorable
Nov 15, 2014
I’m looking at either the i9-10850K or the i7-10700k for just gaming at 1080p with decent settings. I’m wondering if the i9 is worth the price or if I should go for the i7 or even less. I’ll be running it with a 2070 super and a ASUS PRIME Z490-P ATX mother board.

Solution
The 10700k is plenty good enough for that configuration. If you're doing some serious multitasking on top of gaming, like recording, encoding, streaming or other demanding processes WHILE you are gaming, then you might see some benefit from the 10850k. About the only real benefit I see from the i9 is that is has a 100mhz higher clock speed AND it does also have about 4mb more cache than the i7 which probably translates into slightly better IPC, but the difference in performance is certainly not going to be worth the difference in price, for a gaming system, unless you are shooting for VERY high frame rates and have to eek out every additional fps you can, and maybe not even then.
The 10700k is plenty good enough for that configuration. If you're doing some serious multitasking on top of gaming, like recording, encoding, streaming or other demanding processes WHILE you are gaming, then you might see some benefit from the 10850k. About the only real benefit I see from the i9 is that is has a 100mhz higher clock speed AND it does also have about 4mb more cache than the i7 which probably translates into slightly better IPC, but the difference in performance is certainly not going to be worth the difference in price, for a gaming system, unless you are shooting for VERY high frame rates and have to eek out every additional fps you can, and maybe not even then.

Solution

Jakeowar

Honorable
Nov 15, 2014
Honestly I’ll go less than the 10700k what do you recommend that’s cheaper but still good for gaming