Question i9900kf bluescreen on boot when turbo enabled

Feb 7, 2024
I have a weird problem with the i9900kf. Friend of mine bought a used pc, worked fine for a couple of months, and the way he tells it without having touched overclocking it randomly started too bluescreen during startup. I've tried to help him out now for a couple of days but Im at my wits end. Ive swapped out the power supply, bought a mobo of the same type he has, (asus rog strix z390-f gaming). Ram was checked using the windows ram test, without boost, took a while but it was fine. Also runs completely fine with a different processor. The only thing i havent touched is the AIO. Whenever running the system with a i5 8500T its fine. I dont have a faster processor than the 8500T at hand to put into the board, now im thinking his i9 is fried somehow, maybe the circuitry that talks to the motherboard voltage controller? But the weird thing is, turn off boost and pc runs completely fine, slower, but stable. Intel processor diagnostic tool runs checks out without any faults. CoreTemp reports 28c on average, at base, after playing some halo on it for an hour the temps went max to 52c. So the AIO looks fine. Now im not that savvy when it comes to dump file analysis was thinking if anyone could take a look and help narrow it down, dont have access to a different cooler to check it out and it also bugs me how a system can be stable with boost turned off, feels like Im missing some obscure setting in the bios or maybe just throwing the processor away is the solution. Thanks in advance! =)

https://ufile.io/tp9m6y07 (i have no clue how to upload a file on this forum ive searched around, the link is safe, unless ufile adds adware to the download, if you know how I could upload the file directly to the post, id appreciate it, i could mail or do whatever else youd like if you want to take a look at the dump.)

Specs from memory,( had to leave since he lives a couple of hours away, stayed over a couple days. Had to leave for home now tho, I’m iffy on his powersupply, ill add it as soon as I hear back from him.)

Mobo: asus rog strix z390-f gaming, both that were connected are same, managed to find same model

CPUs: intel i9 9900kf (his faulty processor, during boost), checked with i5 8500T(everything ran fine)

Ram: 4x16gb Corsair vengeance 3600 mhz(were checked by the owner individually before I arrived, configuration and ramstick didn’t matter the fault happened anyway), they ran fine with xmp enabled. Were checked with xmp on.

Drives: main drive: Samsung 860 evo (checked with Samsung magician since these buggers have a tendency to fail, was fine no corrupted sectors) 960gb,

Second nvme intel ssdpeknw010t8, 1tb, mounted on the lower nvme port. Did not in fact check the stability of this drive. But the OS was installed on it originally, so i nuked it during the second installation to ensure no drivers were left alive. The fault happened on both.

powersupply: the owners: Corsair rm1000x? Unsure, but checked with a corsair sf750w.(I did swap cables, learned that mistake the hard way)

Gpu: asus-dual-rtx2080s-08G-evo, single, did not swap this one out.. didn’t think it could cause the cpu to fail at startup, mistake maybe?

His screens: Samsung oddeyssey g5 27 inch
Second one was a smaller Samsung 60hz, iffy on this one too, ill add it when I hear back.

Mouse: razor viper

Keyboard: razor cynosa chroma

And a mini keyboard The shrimp.

Edit added partlist. I might edit this tomorrow after he checks some details

Last edited:

NanoSuit3

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2017
Okay, this MAAAY seem weird at first but bare with me in mind. This CPU their using; the i9-9900KF is what is called an unlocked CPU meaning it'll overclock on the fly even if you DON'T do anything sometimes & frankly . . . it did so . . . with that said . . . I used to have an i9-9900K not F as theirs excludes what would be called onboard graphics & mine did the same thing. Only difference is I knew what to turn on after so I'd say see if he can find a setting called Extreme-Overvoltage. With this enabled, any intention to put more power into the CPU for higher clock speeds including a bit of a bump up OC will be ignored as it'll meet that voltage and increase it to that range and so forth. EG; more power; less likely to crash . . . if it doesn't work I've worked with that same Mobo and CPU before and will diagnose it accordingly however possible after....................food for thought

Feb 7, 2024
Okay, this MAAAY seem weird at first but bare with me in mind. This CPU their using; the i9-9900KF is what is called an unlocked CPU meaning it'll overclock on the fly even if you DON'T do anything sometimes & frankly . . . it did so . . . with that said . . . I used to have an i9-9900K not F as theirs excludes what would be called onboard graphics & mine did the same thing. Only difference is I knew what to turn on after so I'd say see if he can find a setting called Extreme-Overvoltage. With this enabled, any intention to put more power into the CPU for higher clock speeds including a bit of a bump up OC will be ignored as it'll meet that voltage and increase it to that range and so forth. EG; more power; less likely to crash . . . if it doesn't work I've worked with that same Mobo and CPU before and will diagnose it accordingly however possible after....................food for thought
This was interesting, I thought the K just meant that you had the ability to overklock, little did I know. My money was on the asus multicore enhancement wearing down the svid, but i barely count as a hobbyist when it comes to overklocking so in our situation its like the deaf leading the blind. Ill guide him through the bios over FaceTime tomorrow and let you know, thanks so much! 🙏🏼

Reactions: NanoSuit3

NanoSuit3

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2017
Your not the first to have this being done lol. Stuff happens and we all undermindedly indicate things we do and do not know. Yes the K on the CPU means you can OC it but the F on it means no IG. Plus if he doesn't wanna OC it then another idea would be to force disable Turbo Boost the easier way. Have them got to Power Setting in the Control Panel; Choose High Performance then Change Advanced Settings & scroll down til they find Minimum and Maximum Power saying 100% Each. Have them turn it to 99 and done; Turbo Boost disabled the better way.