IBM+ABIT RAID system

G

Hi, all!

Can I build a RAID system with a Quantum Fireball lct 20GB + IBM DeskStar 75GXP 45GB + ABIT BX-133 combo? Or should I look after another hard drives and/or motherboards? (Actually I didn't purchased yet the IBM and BX-133 that's why I'm asking...)

Simply put what do you suggest? If I insist on the IBM 75GXP 45GB what other hard disk(s) could be the match for it in RAID 0? My Quantum 20GB would do it?

bye, atrelio

TazMo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You could do it that way, but I wouldn't. The controller would probably only stripe the first 20GB and not see the rest of the IBM i.e. not see 25GB. RAID (0) works best with 2 identical drives or at the very least two that spec out the same. Also remember that with RAID (0) the system sees the two physical drives as one logical drive, so two 20GB will give you a 40GB drive. If you want about 60GB total I'd go for two 30GB IBMs which in the US are very inexpensive.

The other thing is that you can't just temporarily use the Quantum with the IBM with the idea that in the future you can simply swap out the Quantum. You'd have to repartion and reformat the drive.

Also check the RAID controller's web site/motheroard site for any FAQs or known issues with a particular brand hard drive.