IBM Builds 10 PFlops Supercomputer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]PIZZA Man[/nom]But here's the big question: Can it run Crysis?[/citation]
Maybe in compatibility mode. Maybe you'll have to underclock the thing by a million times just to get Crysis to work. LOL

blibba

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]warmon6[/nom]jprahman, you do know that the 95W TDP is how much watts of heat a cpu and/or a gpu will release and not how much it consumes Both the GTX 580 and the core i7's can consume more watts than there TDP's are. (not all the energy thats consumed by the hardware is lost as heat)[/citation]

Not all, just 99.9%.

bobiseverywhere

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
[citation][nom]PIZZA Man[/nom]Holy cow, can you imagine the possibilities this thing now opens? I can't wait to see what they do with this incomprehensible amount of processing power. But here's the big question: Can it run Crysis?[/citation]

Skynet, Here we come.

powerbaselx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Great news on High Performance Computing.
Despite any licencing violations, is it possible to install a Windows VM on Virtual Box on Linux for z/OS? :)

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Darkk[/nom]What I don't understand that CPU processing power in math is actually outdated thanks to the raw power of GPUs so would make sense to use those instead.[/citation]
Yes. You don't understand.

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
[citation][nom]bobiseverywhere[/nom]Skynet, Here we come.[/citation]
Skynet is Online... BSOD! Terminator, don't just stand there, find a Human to fix fix it! ;-)

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Maybe in compatibility mode. Maybe you'll have to underclock the thing by a million times just to get Crysis to work. LOL[/citation]
you got it all wrong, just add more vegetation and buildings and all will be well, lol

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]liveonc[/nom]Skynet is Online... BSOD! Terminator, don't just stand there, find a Human to fix fix it! ;-)[/citation]

Some times I rather fight zombies or machines than go to work on Monday...just sayin'

G

warmon6 :

jprahman, you do know that the 95W TDP is how much watts of heat a cpu and/or a gpu will release and not how much it consumes Both the GTX 580 and the core i7's can consume more watts than there TDP's are. (not all the energy thats consumed by the hardware is lost as heat)

Not all, just 99.9%.

So what do you expect the rest of the energy to emit like, Gravity waves? Mass? Maybe a hidden Zero-point energy field or a new virtual particle??

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]Some times I rather fight zombies or machines than go to work on Monday...just sayin'[/citation]

You should come to Denmark & work! According to TV, it's the happiest Nation on Earth, there's 0% corruption, & immigrants even dream of comming here!

BTW did you know that Danes have a sick sense of humor, they have the highest consumption of antidepressants per capita in the world, & the weather here makes people drink & take drugs because it rains a lot in winter too?..just sayin'

[citation][nom]lilltroll[/nom]warmon6 :jprahman, you do know that the 95W TDP is how much watts of heat a cpu and/or a gpu will release and not how much it consumes Both the GTX 580 and the core i7's can consume more watts than there TDP's are. (not all the energy thats consumed by the hardware is lost as heat)Not all, just 99.9%.So what do you expect the rest of the energy to emit like, Gravity waves? Mass? Maybe a hidden Zero-point energy field or a new virtual particle??[/citation]

??? i dont seam to understand the question being ask.... Are you meaning something along the lines of "if it's not all lost as heat, where the rest go?"

Basic analogy i can give is, cpu and gpu's with electricity is like a car engine with gasoline.

You need gasoline to get a car moving, although not all that energy is used to make a car move. Some of that energy is lost as heat. (why we have to have radiator fluid and oil to reduce/remove heat though out the engine.)

Same thing applies to cpu's, gpu's, and anything else the requires some form of energy to function for that matter. There always multiple of energy usage when running. There the function of the object (cpu processing the data) and then there some form of energy lose (cpu giving heat)

If you literally had a cpu give out a TDP 95W (amount of heat giving out) and it consumed only 95W's, that would mean it 100% inefficent. Meaning it shouldn't be working at all as you cant go beyond 100% in either direction.

Now if the cpu consumes 100W's and it hit's the maximum TDP of 95w, it would be 5% efficent on processing your data.

(btw, that 99.9% is not my saying ;) )

skyjogger

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
with all this talk about GPUs being fast than CPUs you are basicaly forgetting big point here. this is IBM they dont just buy CPUs out of a box and glue them together like some other asian organisations. they are building a custom computer for a specific task, im sure that the processors they use will be extreemly fast at what they are designed to use. IBM building super computers are working on a completely differnt level to Itel, AMD or Nvidia

G

when it will be completely built? If it is built in 2015, it cannot be the fastest. Other vendors will build super computer faster than that before 2015.

ffakr

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
I[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]^ +1. "climate research" is so inexact a science that simulating it is no good really.[/citation]

I assume you know this because you are a Climateologist. Maybe you should talk to GeoPhysical Scientists I support. Their simulations are unfortunately accurate and it doesn't look good for us. They get better all the time too.. that's why I've got a basement full of clusters.

I suspect you confuse climate modeling with detailed weather modeling. Weather != Climate

ffakr

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
[citation][nom]christop[/nom]Does it have a 5 ton AC unit for its cooler?[/citation]

You mean an AC unit that weights 5 tons? maybe.

Chiller output is also measured in tons though.. that's what DataCenter (and HVAC people) use when they talk about cooling capacity.

I'm familiar with Argonne, having been out there several times to support machines. Last I heard they've got one or two MW for the new data center. I'm not sure if this is going in there but I do know they're planning to add more power capacity. I'm pretty sure I heard 5MW in a couple years.

Lets assume this machine is going to be 1MW (could be much more). It's hard to tell because BGs are very efficient per GF. One of our Nehalem clusters pulls about 11KW per rack.. 256 cores per rack. This will have 750,000 cores.. but they might be multi-core cells.. or PowerPC embedded chips or some mix of cpus.. I have no idea. If it was all nehalems, you'd be talking nearly 40MW.

5 Tons of cooling will handle 60,000 btu. 60,000btu = 17 KiloWatts. So.. 1MW requires 295 tons of cooling.

Just for reference, if you've got a 2200 square foot house, you'd probably want about a 5Ton air conditioner (depends on the house and the weather).

ffakr

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
[citation][nom]damian86[/nom]I would like to know what are the specs of these things and how are they going to use it?[/citation]

You can check argonne's site to see what they do. http://www.anl.gov. (I need to get me an anal dot gov email address)
It's a department of energy site so they do a lot of what you might generically call Nuclear Physics. They have a particle accellerator out there, which I believe is still operational though it's not terribly impressive next to Fermi's. They've gotten a lot of next-gen defense grants since 9/11. They do research in computation. The installation is managed by the University of Chicago so Argonne researchers partner with UofC scientists.

UofC is trying to get a a different supercomputer which would be housed out at Argonne (though they 'run' Argonne, the DoE will actually charge them to host the system if the funding goes through). I don't know if that's gone through yet.

ffakr

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
[citation][nom]skyjogger[/nom]with all this talk about GPUs being fast than CPUs you are basicaly forgetting big point here. this is IBM they dont just buy CPUs out of a box and glue them together like some other asian organisations. they are building a custom computer for a specific task, im sure that the processors they use will be extreemly fast at what they are designed to use. IBM building super computers are working on a completely differnt level to Itel, AMD or Nvidia[/citation]

Meh.. I'm not sure I totally agree. The first BlueGenes were built with PPC embedded processors.. the kind you'd find in your car. They had the same instruction sets as a Macintosh but there was a LOT of them. This is why they were relatively cool. As far as I can tell, BlueGenes still use the PowerPC ISA (a superset of Power). There's a number of changes but, generically, you can think of PowerPC as Power plus Vector Processing. I think IBM is now calling the chips "BlueGene processors" generically.

Anywho.. You're sort of right and sort of wrong. It's totally about the interconnect. When you buy a BlueGene or a Cray you're paying for the service and the interconnect. However, I wouldn't say the CPUs need be very powerful individually. Sort of like a GPU.. it's all about the core count. And.. there are plenty of extremely fast supercomputers that use Xeons and Opterons.. they just also have exotic interconnect fabrics between the nodes. Look at Krakken for example. http://www.nics.tennessee.edu/computing-resources/kraken

I actually support someone doing molecular modeling and their code ran faster on their 768core commodity Xeon cluster than on the BlueGene that he got time on.

Status
Not open for further replies.