IBM Combines Electrics, Optics On Same Chip

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ares1214

Splendid
Its nice IBM does all this, but this is just another "In 20 years, we will have..." notice, like Rice university and their graphene that can hit 20 GHz to 1 THz. Also, once again, fantastic looking stuff, but IBM making all these nice toys and doing not much with them is stupid. They could dominate practically any market they wanted to go into, especially CPU's.

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I think the idea of photonics or whatever, given there is a possible huge reduction of normal connection means, and some of the points and uses of them at times might be more useful of those without to many issues, given there will probably always be bottlenecks and etc of some sorts. But at least getting more processing before it. But on some parts still requires normal means of processing and communication.

If anything all such issues wont be one, and be a way of pave to find and fill the crave to more processing power. Cheaper, safer, planet/earth friendly, efficent. Cheaper might be awhile off of course. Still. Awesome board.

pkadair

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Great news to hear!! This will make it much easier for the Government to implement that chip in our forehead...or hand. Did someone say, "1984"?

Misdissident

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
As ridiculously awesome as it is, I'd probably go more crazy about it if it was anywhere near affordable to the masses.
Of course, that's me being a whiny brat. Most technological innovation needs to start at the infinite banks before it can trickle down to the typical middle-class taxpayer...
... 10 times density doesn't come every day, I guess. :)

verbalizer

Distinguished

have you seen the article of video of the man with a computer virus inside his body...?
http://news.discovery.com/tech/first-human-infected-with-a-computer-virus.html

As if humans didn't have enough viruses to worry about, one British researcher has successfully infected himself with a computer virus.

Mark Gasson, senior research fellow at the University of Reading, was able to infect a tiny, radio frequency identification (RFID) chip with a virus before he placed it under the skin on his hand. He uses that chip to activate his cell phone, as well as open secure doors.

Thanks to the computer chip, his cell phone knows when he's using it, and when someone else is trying to operate the device. If someone else tries to use his phone (after, say, stealing it), that person is not able to use it. Only Gasson can.

And instead of him swiping an ID card to enter his building, he just needs to wave his hand to gain entrance. The convenience of not taking out his ID and the safety of his phone come with a price, however.

He served as carrier, and was able to pass the virus on to an external computer. The virus was of Gasson's own design and was not malicious. But he was able to show that computer viruses can move seamlessly between computers within and outside the body. And theoretically, if a person had several computers in his or her body, a computer virus could spread from one to another, infecting them all.

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
The 8086 16-bit microprocessor chip was designed by Intel in 1978. It gave rise to the x86 architecture.
The term x86 refers to a family of instruction set architectures based on the Intel 8086 CPU.
An instruction set architecture (ISA) is the programming instructions used to manipulate registers, memory, interrupts and external I/O of a specific central processing unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.