IBM Develops Memory 100x Faster Than Flash

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kkiddu

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
[citation][nom]reprotected[/nom]I went on Wikipedia to find out that this technology isn't as new as I thought it was.[/citation]

A Wikipedia page can be written when the concept is in theory, or if you've managed to store one bit of data using that technology.

But to develop it to the point where you can say this is tomorrow's hard drive, that takes time.

Like, you'd be surprised at how old LCDs are, but the fact is, I'm still using a CRT (ducks).

We'll never see truly huge leaps in technology anymore. There is more money to be made in incremental tiptoes forward.

We have the technology to do many great things like repairing our ozone layer, we just don't have the money to build the tech we know can do the job.

Good job IBM. Keep us dreaming of a future, whether or not it ever arrives, its still a fun trip down imagination lane.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]razor512[/nom]Why not just move to a 500mm die and put 2TB L1 cache on the CPU.Or just keep it the way it is but make it 2TB and allow the system to slowly cache the hard drive to it (many users rarely shutdown their systems so this can allow users to get the speed benefit of a storage like medium that can do over 200GB/s ?Or take the standard ssd and move each memory chip to it's own channel, then make it larger and sell it for under $ 50the manufacturing cost of a SSD is far less than that of a standard HDD.IBM needs to stop being lazy and release a SSD with the new tech and allow users to max out their current bus and allow performance to be boosted when they get a new board with a faster bus.[/citation]

You don't seem to understand L1 cache...

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]EnFoRceR22[/nom]Going to need a new terminator for the next date since it was suppose to have happen already[/citation]

Actually, it has happened. Just not in our timeline. You see, time travel is a silly bitch, and she likes to splinter when you go back and change things. So, in another timeline, it has happened and machines are eradicating everything they see. However, at the same time, they aren't... in this timeline.

boom o_O

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Instantaneous booting? No. Secondary storage is not much of a bottleneck if you already have a fast NAND Flash SSD. I believe that a lot of time is taken up during the boot-up process communicating with expansion cards, chipsets and getting all the communication done to enable these devices to work with windows drivers.. I'm talking post-P.O.S.T. here.

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
This is an exciting and interesting new technology, but will it cost 100 times as much as the current available technology? Moreover will the PCM eliminate the need for RAM?
This new tech will find its way first to the enterprise market, and it will take years before we can see it in the consumer market.

[citation][nom]fir_ser[/nom]This is an exciting and interesting new technology, but will it cost 100 times as much as the current available technology? Moreover will the PCM eliminate the need for RAM?This new tech will find its way first to the enterprise market, and it will take years before we can see it in the consumer market.[/citation]

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last we ever hear of it. The Department of Defense / CIA / NSA etc get all the cool sh!t.

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
[citation][nom]iamtheking123[/nom]Am I the only one thinking "what good is 5 seconds with an SSD vs instant booting with PCM"?[/citation]
This new tech will find its way first to the enterprise market, and it will take years before we can see it in the consumer market.
First of all these PCM are basically targeted at the enterprise market, secondly servers tend to take more time to boot than normal PCs due.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
there is another way to make a OS boot faster, simply make the OS smaller, focus purely on running the programs that the user wants to run while being as small as possible.

Suppose you can get it down to only 20-30MB of data needed to be loaded to get the OS completely up and running, how fast can the hard drive read that much data into memory

companies just need to get away from the idea of making a OS that doubles in size every few years.

What companies like microsoft need to do is restrict the developers to machines running old 5400RPM 20GB hard drives and modern CPU's downclocked to like 200MHz then make them design a fast booting OS around the system, that way when run on a modern system, we will get near instant boots and much better performance.

PS hads anyone tried booting windows 95 on a VM on a system running a overclocked core i7 920?

near instant boots are already here

make a OS the size of windows 95 that runs the latest programs

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
[citation][nom]EnFoRceR22[/nom]Going to need a new terminator for the next date since it was suppose to have happen already[/citation]

It just means we've beaten back the one they[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]a 2-5x increase is already impressive. 100x is really revolutionary. unfortunately a system is as fast as its slowest component.[/citation]

which is great news because storage has always been really slow. Nothing keeps us from leapfrogging SSD.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
You know, IBM sure does make lots of great new stuff, but they DON'T RELEASE NARRY A ADVANCED CHIP for the consumer!

I remember a few years ago they had made or nearly made a holographic memory chip that would put today's SSD's to shame, just like PCM mentioned above. But do we all have holographic RAM now?
No.
Where does all this tech that IBM "makes"???
Down a black hole?
According to them, we should be all running processors made out of liquid metal and will terminate yo a$$ for getting out of line =O

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
[citation][nom]kriswitak[/nom]I for one am glad that people are not just contempt with Flash Memory. As long as we keep pushing for higher standards, we can get close to the "future" we all keep imagining in our imaginations.[/citation]

I understand what you're saying, however, for the sake of clarity: contempt is not the same as content:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/contempt
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/content

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
The news here is not the technology...the basis for the technology is actually quite a bit older than the article leads you to believe. The news here is that the researchers at IBM have developed a proof-of-concept that works, and that the next step in development will be ramping up to industrialization of the concept. Depending on the complexities involved, as well as the availability of manufacturing facilities and if any business/licensing arrangements need to be made, you could probably see the first models off the line in as little as 3-5 years.

[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]ha ha ha I posted this days ago. Way to be on the ball THG. I would suggest that the people who post news for THG get an RSS feed from engadget.com, dailytech.com and anandtech.com... might get some of these stories up faster.[/citation]

oh poor baby you mean no one reads you're diary? oh sorry i forgot there called blogs now LOL

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]exzacklyright[/nom]Read this on Engadget a week ago.[/citation]
I read a comment like this on tom's hardware, like, a year ago. Please keep your comments a little more up to date.

100 times faster huh?
Doesn't that mean we won't need RAM anymore, Perhaps our solid state drive will BE the new ram of the future.
I know with the right connections you can get some extremely high speeds from SSD drives but times that by 100 and who needs RAM anymore?
So 500MB/s X 100 = 50,000MB/s (aka 50GB/s)
1600MHz RAM = 12,800MB/s (aka 12.8GB/s)

That means this new memory would be WAAAY faster than current SSD's and also faster than RAM. That means it could just use part of the drive for system memory and still work waaay faster than my 1600MHz RAM.

The future of PC's will be interesting indeed!

Status
Not open for further replies.