News IBM Doubles Its Quantum Computing Performance

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
I hope they create a quantum algorithm to comprehensively statistically test digital pseudo-random number generator ('PRNG') algorithms so the rest of us still using traditional PRNGs (i.e. not quantum true-random number generators, or 'TRNGs') can be assured that our non-quantum-based research models provide meaningful results (i.e. not the status-quo junk science that is non-reproducible).

Or if I could just upload my conscious into a coherent pocket domain of the global quantum cloud... that would be good too.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Quantum processing will change our world and humanity itself in big ways. Things that are fiction today such as an end to all diseases, light speed travel, teleportation, and immortality will be within reach with quantum computing.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Quantum processing will change our world and humanity itself in big ways. Things that are fiction today such as an end to all diseases, light speed travel, teleportation, and immortality will be within reach with quantum computing.

Genetic cure to all diseases is possible , but come on light speed ? teleportation ? immortality? These are barriers or not scientific at all , and not something any computing would solve ...

first of all , Light speed is not possible at all because there are no containers that can withstand Light speed , and we dont have the energy source enough for it . these two are not compute speed related.

Teleportation is impossible , it means you can transform Energy to any material this is creation by definition , when you Teleport yourself you change your atoms into Energy and then beam them to another location then transform energy back into atoms in the right order .. if you can do that , you can create anything from energy not only reconstruct your atoms back .. do you know the amount of energy that comes from your Atoms ? Nukes are a joke compared to it , and you would need a way to contain that energy and beam it ..

Teleportation by moving to another dimension then appear some where else , that is space folding? how is faster computation is going to discover something that we dont have the methods to enter ? and we dont have the physical form to use? that if such parallel spaces exist to begin with.

as for immortality well I guess this is not allowed by God . we will all die no matter what.

Last edited:

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Actually, I saw an article recently saying that the first person to live forever has probably already been born.

lol , not fair for you isnt it ? you will be forgotten , lost and your life meaningless compared to him or it lol

if people stop dying sooner or later there will be no atoms left to make new humans , the cycle will be cut and our atoms will not go back to earth to produce more humans , then the energy will be gone as well to make atoms and we will end up dying eating each others to live :p

here you go , gone your immortality :p

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
A wise man once told me "The more intelligent one becomes, the more it opens your eyes to how much humans don't know". Apparently "nofanneeded" knows everything and doesn't need this advice.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
A wise man once told me "The more intelligent one becomes, the more it opens your eyes to how much humans don't know". Apparently "nofanneeded" knows everything and doesn't need this advice.

Apparently you have nothing to say against the points I stated and your reply turned personal instead of arguing about the points. this is going off topic . so I will stop.

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
Actually, I saw an article recently saying that the first person to live forever has probably already been born.
I saw an article once that said Elvis was alive on the dark side of the moon.

Seriously, you can predict minor engineering advances, but no one can put a timeframe on scientific breakthroughs. And it would take 6 or 7 of them at least to result in immortality.

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
Teleportation is impossible , it means you can transform Energy to any material this is creation by definition , when you Teleport yourself you change your atoms into Energy
That might be how a Star Trek teleporter works, but its not how quantum teleportation does. It relies on entanglement, not matter-energy conversion.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
That might be how a Star Trek teleporter works, but its not how quantum teleportation does. It relies on entanglement, not matter-energy conversion.

Thats not atoms Teleportation , thats information teleportation instantly without the need to travel the distance. This is communication not teleportation.

Quantum teleportation is limited to the transfer of information rather than matter itself ...

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
Thats not atoms Teleportation , thats information teleportation instantly...This is communication not teleportation.
It's both, which is why they call it quantum teleportation. And the information doesn't move "instantly", in any case -- but rather at the speed of light.

In any case, your original premise was that teleportation was impossible. It's not in theory, even for direct matter teleportation. Point in fact, some hypergeometric theories would allow it even with mass-energy conversion (which itself is not impossible either).

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
It's both, which is why they call it quantum teleportation. And the information doesn't move "instantly", in any case -- but rather at the speed of light.

In any case, your original premise was that teleportation was impossible. It's not in theory, even for direct matter teleportation. Point in fact, some hypergeometric theories would allow it even with mass-energy conversion (which itself is not impossible either).

it is called Quantum teleportation and means teleportation of data not the matter itself. and mass energy conversion is impossible to happen , unless you want comic books to be your sources ... you cant contain the Energy it is huge what so ever.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Odd then that the sun is converting a few million tons of mass into energy each and every second ... and nuclear reactors do the same thing here on earth.

we were talking about teleportation . yes you can turn yourself into an Atomic bomb , but you wont be able to contain it then move it far a way then reverse it.

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
we were talking about teleportation . yes you can turn yourself into an Atomic bomb , but you wont be able to contain it then move it far a way then reverse it.
We convert energy into mass every day, just as we do the opposite. And of course moving energy to another location is even less of a problem.

Have we yet combined all three steps into a practical teleportation device? No ... but don't confuse that with the belief that it is impossible. There is nothing in the laws of physics which forbids it.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
People like this also went around telling everyone it was impossible to go faster than sound and Chuck Yeager would explode. They would have also told Magellan that he's an idiot and would sail right off the edge of the world. Who does this Ford dude think he is? Horses have always been the best form of transport an these car things will never take off.

If you went back 300 years and told people that the Earth used to be ruled by lizards that weigh multiple tons and are larger than a house, they would have laughed you all the way to the looney bin. If you told the same people that some day we could talk to anyone on Earth no matter where they are in real-time, you'd be shuffled to the same doctors as crazy lizard guy.

Pretending like you're the arbiter of what will someday be possible and what isn't is guaranteed to make you look like a fool.

Last edited:
I saw an article once that said Elvis was alive on the dark side of the moon.

Seriously, you can predict minor engineering advances, but no one can put a timeframe on scientific breakthroughs. And it would take 6 or 7 of them at least to result in immortality.
Have you been to the dark side of the moon and looked for Elvis? If not, you are just talking about assumptions, which go out the door with quantum computing.

There are a lot of things that people forget to say, like "the speed of light" is actually "the speed of light in a vacuum." The problem with that is that there is no vacuum anywhere in the universe. And there's "32F is feezing" when 32F is the temperature where water freezes. Ice cream? Not so much. And "water boils at 212F" when it is actually "water boils at 212F" at the atmospheric pressure at sea level. See "pressure cooker".

If you get up there and don't find Elvis would you please look around for my other sock. I am sick of wearing just one sock to the office.

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
There are a lot of things that people forget to say, like "the speed of light" is actually "the speed of light in a vacuum." ... And there's "32F is feezing" when 32F is the temperature where water freezes.
You forgot "the temperature of pure water at standard temperature and pressure." As for light, I brought up that very point in the recent thread on "computing at the speed of light" ... which doesn't actually happen at that speed.

If you get up there and don't find Elvis would you please look around for my other sock. I am sick of wearing just one sock to the office.
I was wondering what that bit of mauve fabric was. Now I know.