IBM Explores Exascale Computer System For 2024

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]fuzznarf[/nom]680 billion spent on Nasa in its lifetime....Benefits to humanity from nasa = http://www.nasa.gov/50th/50th_magazine/benefits.htmlhttp://www.sti.nasa.gov/tto/apollo.htmhttp://www.abakaninc.com/media/NAS [...] t_2010.pdf8 Trillion spent on "The War on Poverty' in the US alone..... Benefits from the war on poverty = a broken black family, millions dependent on the system. record levels of unemployment in the inner city, crime, lower education scores, etc.....I prefer my dollars going towards knowledge and research. Unfortunately, you can't force someone to learn, you are proof[/citation]

You make a good point but could you translate those dollars into how many iPods worth? Thanks. ;-)

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I just want it able to run a complete virtual brain so I can connect and migrate to it. By that time I'll be 40 years old, and I'll be needing a new body anyway.

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

Dumbest comment ever. Tempur pedic mattress off the top of my head was a Nasa based idea. Go back to reading your bible , or wherever it is you get your "facts" from.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]kingius[/nom]" thus improving mankind"PROVE it. All I see is how this will make a very tiny number of people Very Rich."current plans, the SKA would include 3,000 45-foot wide dish antennas that are spread over a surface area that is more than 3,000 km or 1,860 miles wide and would either reach from South Africa to the Indian Ocean islands or from Australia to New Zealand. "So the United States nearly went bust but this tremendous waste of money should ensure that it definitely does.I've got an idea for you, sit back, you may find it revolutionary. STOP WASTING MONEY![/citation]

I'd like for you to compare the standard of living between 1960 and 2012.

There's a huge difference. What made it possible?

Technology advancement.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]threefish[/nom]"Thanks Tom's, but we do NOT need analogies for idiots here."Wow, that's 1.9 million years of music EVERY DAY!!! (assuming 128kbps mp3 encoding)[/citation]

Come on, man. If you're gonna assume, then assume FLAC. I personally would die of exposure from listening to 1.9 million years of mp3 @ 128kbps. :)

[citation]...more than the capacity of 15 million 64 GB iPods.[/citation]A simple sentence like "An exabyte (EB) is 1 million terabytes (TB)" would have been less inflammatory than a comment about some stupid Apple device.

Apple Users: You don't own any Apple devices because you can't afford them!
Everyone Else: Why would I even want an Apple product?

[citation][nom]Antimatter79[/nom]Come on, man. If you're gonna assume, then assume FLAC. I personally would die of exposure from listening to 1.9 million years of mp3 @ 128kbps.[/citation]You own much higher quality speakers than I do.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]ohmygaylord2[/nom]I'm sorry amk-aka-Phantom, but 80-90% of the people here think they're computer experts and know about storage because they own an SSD drive. Analogies like that are helpful if posted correctly - the iPod analogy is horrible though.[/citation]

What I meant is that most of the "average users" don't know the difference between a megabyte and a gigabyte. You really don't need to know much in order to understand about data capacities, but they don't know even THAT and this ignorance is encouraged; I find it offensive when a tech website (and mind you, this is not even Tom's Guide article, so no excuses!) uses the same tactic on its users. It's really not such a big deal, but it's happening EVERYWHERE and as a total, it's annoying.

[citation][nom]dalauder[/nom]You own much higher quality speakers than I do.[/citation]

Even on low quality speakers there's a huge difference between 128 and 192/256/320 Kbps...

[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Even on low quality speakers there's a huge difference between 128 and 192/256/320 Kbps...[/citation]But what about on low quality ears?

I've always been kinda tone-deaf and I think that relates to me not caring much between low or high quality speakers. (Now VERY low, does bother me). In contrast, I'm a stickler for visual quality and can't accept Windows' default degradation of images when using Rotate, so I always use Lossless Rotator.

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
[citation][nom]dalauder[/nom]But what about on low quality ears?I've always been kinda tone-deaf and I think that relates to me not caring much between low or high quality speakers. (Now VERY low, does bother me). In contrast, I'm a stickler for visual quality and can't accept Windows' default degradation of images when using Rotate, so I always use Lossless Rotator.[/citation]

You notice a huge difference in quality from a 128kbps to a 24bit 96kHz track. It's definitely noticeable unless your using a pair of $2.00 headphones. Believe me even with crappy speakers the songs don't distort at high volumes. It's like going to youtube selecting a song at 240p and then listening to it in a HQ 720p - 1080p playback.

dreadlokz

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
WTF? Why 64 GB iPods? why not 64 GB flash disks? or SSDs? or anything less IDIOT then and ipod? who was the retarded that thought it was a good idea put the word iPod or divide it by 64? I mean, f*** y**

sry about that, but that was just retarded, or even a shame for retarded ppl who are rly nice!

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
[citation][nom]fuzznarf[/nom]680 billion spent on Nasa in its lifetime....Benefits to humanity from nasa = http://www.nasa.gov/50th/50th_magazine/benefits.htmlhttp://www.sti.nasa.gov/tto/apollo.htmhttp://www.abakaninc.com/media/NAS [...] t_2010.pdf8 Trillion spent on "The War on Poverty' in the US alone..... Benefits from the war on poverty = a broken black family, millions dependent on the system. record levels of unemployment in the inner city, crime, lower education scores, etc.....I prefer my dollars going towards knowledge and research. Unfortunately, you can't force someone to learn, you are proof[/citation]
Thankyou. Poverty will always exist. Give them something to strive for, not handouts. (this is from a low wage laberor working around 70 hours a week).
Also think of how many jobs this project will need! /sorry had to/

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
[citation][nom]dreadlokz[/nom]WTF? Why 64 GB iPods? why not 64 GB flash disks? or SSDs? or anything less IDIOT then and ipod? who was the retarded that thought it was a good idea put the word iPod or divide it by 64? I mean, f*** y**sry about that, but that was just retarded, or even a shame for retarded ppl who are rly nice![/citation]
Well think of how many comments have been about the use of an apple product. His comment had the desired effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.