IBM Has a Trillion-Bit, Insane Bandwidth "Holey Optochip"

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbo5112

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
[citation][nom]jryan388[/nom]Since when is 116GB the equivalent of 500 HD movies? More like 3 or so...[/citation]It's the new HD content, designed to be friendly with the poor bandwidth, data caps and multiple users. Sure it may only be 275 kbps total to carry both sound and video, but since it's 720p, I can still market it as HD. Right?

I'm curious what networking standard is 20 Gbps per direction, aside from DDR Infiniband. Are they marketing this for 24x40GbE switches that peak at 50% of full bandwidth, or is this something more exotic? I can see a market for high-speed networking in data centers that is mostly simplex or 50+% idle.

[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Great now Euros will be surfing at ever faster speeds than ever before while the US lags behind in the stone ages all thanks to greedy corporations like Comcast and AT@T. If newer tech didn't kill their "dial up" most of us Americans probably would have still been stuck with it paying like $75 a month for it >.< Japan 10-125mbEuro 25-125mbAmerican 56k-1.5mb -_- Rest of the world 56k-20mb[/citation]

Actually, I think that Japan has up to 250Mb/s or 500Mb/s being common. I know that several countries have 500MB/s and 1Gb/s being common, Korea and New Zealand come to mind here. Yet I'm stuck at home with a 24Mb/s Broadband and I pay more than these other countries do for far faster internet than I have :(

[citation][nom]aidynphoenix[/nom]HD is a very broad statement. we first started calling anything higher than televisions standard resolution of 640x480 HD. we called it that, so that the ignorant consumer knew there was something special about the image. so basically your really old games such as diablo1, starcraft, and many other games, were all high definition because they could run at atleast 800x600. any old standard CRT monitor 15" or more can do atleast 1024x768, which is a higher resolution than HD 720p. so if we were talking about Blueray rip movies 1920x1080, then yea only about 10 movies per second.[/citation]

720p is greater than 1024x768. In fact, 1152x864 is the next step after 720p (both are ~1MP, but the 1152x864 is very slightly larger) in pixel count. 1280x720=921,600 pixels, 1024x768=786,432 pixels, and 1152x864=995,328 pixels.

[citation][nom]jbo5112[/nom]It's the new HD content, designed to be friendly with the poor bandwidth, data caps and multiple users. Sure it may only be 275 kbps total to carry both sound and video, but since it's 720p, I can still market it as HD. Right?I'm curious what networking standard is 20 Gbps per direction, aside from DDR Infiniband. Are they marketing this for 24x40GbE switches that peak at 50% of full bandwidth, or is this something more exotic? I can see a market for high-speed networking in data centers that is mostly simplex or 50+% idle.[/citation]

How about ten 100Gbe ports? Sure, it isn't common, but it does exist. I suppose that these chips could help make much faster ISP backbones without sacrificing energy usage and cost, that is if these chips are cheap enough to create. Considering that the test chips were made on 90nm, I think they can be made very cheaply. Maybe they would go well with that super fast phase change memory that IBM made as a cache that can keep up with multiple chips like these in a single package. That would be one helluva router/switch and it should help make an extremely performance-dense one at that.

kyee7k

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
[citation][nom]zachusaman[/nom]NASA ring a bell? military research?huge amounts of technological advances are made because of government research projects.[/citation]
Government research projects, including the Manhattan Project, the ongoing Genome Project, and the 1950s-1970s Space Race, provided a synthesis between Governmental and Corporate forces that benefited all: The government provided the resources, security, vast military complex to acquire resources, and financial support, while the corporations provided the knowledge, experience, R&D expertise, and manufacturing facilities to implement U.S. policy that dominated, and still dominates global economy.

With the aid of governmental finances, corporations through universities and private labs are still able to advance new theories and technologies within short timespans at a much faster rate than in any other country in the world, with the added benefit of the US or our allies to acquiring these advanced technologies.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Actually, I think that Japan has up to 250Mb/s or 500Mb/s being common. I know that several countries have 500MB/s and 1Gb/s being common, Korea and New Zealand come to mind here. Yet I'm stuck at home with a 24Mb/s Broadband and I pay more than these other countries do for far faster internet than I have 720p is greater than 1024x768.[/citation]
Sure Japan has that sort of speed, but also imagine the population of 127 million compared to the US's 311million. Then compare that to Japan being smaller than California and the lines that they have to lay for internet. Lots more potential customers in much less area=much cheaper costs and much higher returns for the lines laid.

__Miguel_

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Great now Euros will be surfing at ever faster speeds than ever before while the US lags behind in the stone ages all thanks to greedy corporations like Comcast and AT@T. If newer tech didn't kill their "dial up" most of us Americans probably would have still been stuck with it paying like $75 a month for it >.< Japan 10-125mbEuro 25-125mbAmerican 56k-1.5mb -_- Rest of the world 56k-20mb[/citation]
I wish I had even 25Mbps available where I live in Portugal (about 500m from the main city area)... More like 12Mbps, tops, and anything over 8Mbps is over my budget, since there is no fiber connection, and other ISPs have not laid their own network.

So I'm stuck with up to

fuzznarf

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Actually this has nothing to do with 'greedy' companies. It is because American companies were the FIRST to build the infrastructure. so now they are stuck with legacy hardware that costs billions if they were to replace it all at once.. the euro network's infrastructure is newer, thus when it was build better technology was already available.

fuzznarf

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
[citation][nom]IndignantSkeptic[/nom]It's religiots' lethally incorrect thoughts about science that are the main reason for my objections to them. I would have them not only thrown out of the government, but I'd have them prosecuted for even thinking they have the right to be president of the USA, for the same reason that it's prosecutable for someone to try to drive a vehicle when they are drunk.[/citation]
wow.. hate much? and in their place you would have saviors that defund NASA to pay for welfare and crony capitalism. Maybe you should stop the demagoguery and look at the issue. The ONLY difference between democraps and retardicans is what subsection of your life they want to control.

siman0

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
damn, with this I can hit my bandwidth cap in under a second... grate idea... I think some rules are going to need to be rewritten.

[citation][nom]Haserath[/nom]Sure Japan has that sort of speed, but also imagine the population of 127 million compared to the US's 311million. Then compare that to Japan being smaller than California and the lines that they have to lay for internet. Lots more potential customers in much less area=much cheaper costs and much higher returns for the lines laid.[/citation]

I think the USA has more than 311 million right now, something like 340 or 350 million and I simply said that I think Japans internet speed is more than the 125Mb/s that was stated earlier. I'm sure most of us already knew about Japan being more population dense and how that effects the costs of ISPs. Another thing to consider is how much it costs just to start up an ISP in the USA. There are so many bills and hoops to jump through in the USA to become an ISP that it's too expensive for any but the large companies to do it right now and they tend to be the ones who already have set products and don't want to start off on something so radical, especially since these are also the companies that don't care for their customers.

Unlike in the USA, it's far easier to become an ISP in other countries because they tend to have greater population densities and the governments tend to not interfere with huge up front bills to become an ISP.

kentlowt

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
[citation][nom]IndignantSkeptic[/nom]It's religiots' lethally incorrect thoughts about science that are the main reason for my objections to them. I would have them not only thrown out of the government, but I'd have them prosecuted for even thinking they have the right to be president of the USA, for the same reason that it's prosecutable for someone to try to drive a vehicle when they are drunk.[/citation]
There are idiot in every walk of life and every political party. There are even some that post here.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Lots of people seem to think this is a CPU and can replace a Tegra or Xeon which is not the case. This low power chip is a transceiver for networking switches transmitting (and receiving) over relatively short distances. This chip will show up in the data center as part of enterprise class network equipment.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011

Notice I said religiots and not republicans again. I said republicans first of all because there is a hilariously strong correlation between them and religiots. Religiots are actually the real problem. Scientists are finding it very difficult to eliminate Darwinian Evolution from humanity because the religiots are so numerous and powerful that they have highly infiltrated the government and they seem to absolutely refuse to accept that Charles Darwin did not invent Darwinian Evolution at all; he discovered it.

[citation][nom]IndignantSkeptic[/nom]Notice I said religiots and not republicans again. I said republicans first of all because there is a hilariously strong correlation between them and religiots. Religiots are actually the real problem. Scientists are finding it very difficult to eliminate Darwinian Evolution from humanity because the religiots are so numerous and powerful that they have highly infiltrated the government and they seem to absolutely refuse to accept that Charles Darwin did not invent Darwinian Evolution at all; he discovered it.[/citation]

Darwin's theory of evolution still has many holes that remain unanswered. Of course, it makes more sense than mythology, but it still isn't ready yet.

He did invent the idea just as much as Thomas Edison invented the light bulb. We could also say he discovered it, but he still invented it. We could also say that the laws of physics, math, etc, were invented more than they were discovered. We don't see something and know how it works, we infer how it works and often assume we are right. When it seems that we are right then we tend to think we are right. However, we have been proven wrong before. If evolution is proven wrong later on (or at least wrong in it's current form), then it would be obvious that he did not discover something correct, but that he invented an idea that seemed to fit the bill at the time.

The same is true for historical beliefs that the Earth then the sun were the center of the universe. I bet that the "discovers" of the Geocentric and Heliocentric models were believed to have discovered them, not invented them, at least by the people who believed in them. However, we now know that both were wrong.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Okay, so this has just less than HALF the bandwidth that an AMD HD 7970 has to its onboard GDDR5 memory?

Granted, this thing has a lot fewer data lanes (24 vs. 384) and can probably support much greater distances, but it helps to keep things in perspective.

[citation][nom]bit_user[/nom]Okay, so this has just less than HALF the bandwidth that an AMD HD 7970 has to its onboard GDDR5 memory?Granted, this thing has a lot fewer data lanes (24 vs. 384) and can probably support much greater distances, but it helps to keep things in perspective.[/citation]

To be fair, this is a single chip whereas the 7970 has 12 GDDR5 chips, if I'm not mistaken. This is also a different type of chip and it has huge bandwidth for what it is and it uses less power than the GDDR5 chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.