IBM Has Done Amazing Stuff in the Last 100 Years

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
I'm amazed at how naive abottig is. Someone would always make guns, make gun making illegal, then someone would manufacture them underground. Does the prohibition ring a bell?

People kill people, we have done this before guns, before swords. The best you could do is at least prepare to defend yourself. Nobody told you that you needed to kill someone if you had a gun, but nobody's stopping your neighbor from shooting you.

Feeding these trolls is really of no use, they only hear want they want to hear and discard everything else. Just like the other fanatics who think that the moon landing didn't happen, the Nazi's that think that their race is superior, etc. Logic has escaped them, and whatever proof that is presented to them that disproves what they think would be discarded. Every shred of evidence however unrelated, but somehow connected with a fantastic tale somehow becomes fact and proof that their ideas are correct.

whatisupthere

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
"Does that mean you do not like Mercedes either since that was the car Hitler drove?"

While I have no problem or negative feeling towards the current Mercedes car company, the image of hitler driving a Mercades makes the brand seem less appealing to me.

whatisupthere

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
"Does that mean you do not like Mercedes either since that was the car Hitler drove?"

While I have no problem or negative feeling towards the current Mercedes car company, the image of hitler driving a Mercades makes the brand seem less appealing to me.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
[citation][nom]whatisupthere[/nom]"Does that mean you do not like Mercedes either since that was the car Hitler drove?"While I have no problem or negative feeling towards the current Mercedes car company, the image of hitler driving a Mercades makes the brand seem less appealing to me.[/citation]

To both of you Adolf Hitler never drove a car (probably never learned how either).He always had a chauffeur who drove for him.Likewise although very adept to modern transportation he had a personal pilot too.

G

Talking about the past is just that, words that fall from the mouths of babes in times of desire. A desire to feel important, and gain acknowledgment for information not many know.
I would consider this, get your heads out of the clouds and realize that for a company to sustain over the period of 100 years is quite a task. That's only how much longer than the United States has been around?

On another note, to those who blame companies for man's poor decisions with products produced, are we to blame Eddison now for our upcoming challenge of finding alternative energy because he was the one who started us down this path? Shall we curse Einstein for his discoveries that are still governing us today through multiple tangents of science?
Perhaps instead of science, shall we blame God for creating people such as Ted Bundy, Adolf Hitler, or Charles Manson?

The only thing you add to the conversation talking about the past, because we have NO MORE to learn from it, is negativity. From your mouth are the seeds falling upon open ears, and the more you can "teach" about the past in such a mutated way the more you hurt the future of mankind.

Every choice leads down a path, so let's acknowledge what has happened, and like all mankind, IBM has bad and good in it's history. Let's praise the good and hope the bad never surfaces again.

tajisi

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Just my two cents on it... I personally am not bothered by the association with IBM to the Nazis since, as indicated by others, there's more to the story than a black and white "IBM SUPPORTS HUMAN SUFFERING". Furthermore, all the people that were in the company at the time and making decisions during that era are dead probably. Should you be held accountable for your grandfather's crimes?

Status
Not open for further replies.