IBM, Intel Invest $4.4 Billion in Chip Development in NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I'm not sure if it's New Work that needs the money the most, I thought California was in an even bigger debt problem. Still, investing in the East Coast is bouund to bring business and maybe a little prestige.

[citation][nom]baddad[/nom]Why do you Think they left?[/citation]

Erm - taxes too high?? :D

I guess that if Obama gets his higher taxes, the rich might move elsewhere too after taking all their wealth out of the country. Difference is that those wealthy leaving has hurt NY's budget, but the US deficit is so high, taxing the rich at 100% won't make much of a dent at all in the budget.

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]larkforsure[/nom][ SOS ] Complaint with IBM China CSR on Centennial[/citation]
Sorry, I don't bare sympathy to those that commit suicide, its just another form of murder. I feel you should die trying, not kill yourself after a few fails.

G

It has nothing to do with taxes dimwits. It has to do with infrastructure. As for rich people moving elsewhere, please tell me you are kidding. Most everywhere else has higher taxes. They aren't going anywhere. They like it here and not just for money reasons. Where else are they going to get millions of smart people to work for them for peanuts? They can find millions of people to work for them elsewhere, but not the smart ones. They need us more than we need them. Quit believing every right wing rhetoric thrown your way.

G

The Man II: +1, apparently not all of us have been blessed with critical thinking skills.

Rich people could:

1. Move to Western Europe or Japan and have much higher taxes than they do here, or
2. Move to any number of random 3rd world shiit-holes, or Asian countries like China with opressive governments and massively polluted air and water.

They're not going anywhere, and TBH, we'd probably be better off without them anyways.

I saw Bill O'Reilly hypothetically state that if taxes were raised on the rich, people like him might find it too oppressive and just quit what they do... presumably to go work at McDonalds for minimum wage... Right...

[citation][nom]The Man II[/nom]It has nothing to do with taxes dimwits. It has to do with infrastructure. As for rich people moving elsewhere, please tell me you are kidding. [/citation]
Reread the last paragraph of the story ...
"New York desperately needed this investment as it had to deal with a net loss of 1.2 million tax payers over the past 10 years. According to a government report, those who moved to New York had $3.3 billion less income in 2009 than those who left the state. The total net income loss for the state between 2000 and 2009 is estimated at $37 billion. "

stonedatheist

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
semi-sorta off-topic but... why is Intel going from 22 to 14nm? 16nm is the next node. 14nm is a half-node so they are jumping a node and a half

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]The Man II[/nom]It has nothing to do with taxes dimwits. It has to do with infrastructure. As for rich people moving elsewhere, please tell me you are kidding. Most everywhere else has higher taxes. They aren't going anywhere. They like it here and not just for money reasons. Where else are they going to get millions of smart people to work for them for peanuts? They can find millions of people to work for them elsewhere, but not the smart ones. They need us more than we need them. Quit believing every right wing rhetoric thrown your way.[/citation]
Its got nothing to do with taxes, yet the states with most people leaving are the ones with the highest state income taxes, like NY and CA, and the states gaining the most people are the states with NO state incomes taxes, like TX and FL.. You are saying that is just a coincidence?

Status
Not open for further replies.