IBM is #1 in Patent Ranking for 19 Years Straight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dacatak

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
Hopefully most of those patents will result in some sort of useful implementation (if not already), rather than a collection of papers collecting dust, waiting to spring infringement lawsuits at a moment's notice.

el33t

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
WTF happened to Apple? I was in the misconception that they were the patent kings??

Whatever, they still hold the title of "Patent troll king" though...

zander1983

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
All these patents just allow the companies to sue joe.soap for using his brain to invent something useful.
I'd say 99% of these patents will never see the light of day...

G

re: el33t
TF happened to Apple? I was in the misconception that they were the patent kings??

Whatever, they still hold the title of "Patent troll king" though...

4 rocks patent for APPLE.
1. a mice without botton
2. a phone with only one botton
3. a alphabet with a "I" word.
4. steve jobs

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
It's late, I know, but the wrong word got used. "IBM has one the annual patent competition once again. " I think Sir Perry mean "won". :)

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]vikeor[/nom]at least IBM doesnt SUE![/citation]

We don't know that. Keep in mind that the media has EDITORS, and they influence what gets published and what does not. Apple makes a much better news item than good ol' IBM in their dark blue suits.

And no, this is not an Apple fan talking; lord no :)

Still, wondering how many of these 6000+ patents are for actual innovations worth a patent, and how many are for 'round buttons'.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]Benihana[/nom]It's late, I know, but the wrong word got used. "IBM has one the annual patent competition once again. " I think Sir Perry mean "won".[/citation]

Hehe. So much for the future of artificial intelligence.
So far we can not even have a spell checker that notices obvious homophone slip ups.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]trollkingapple[/nom] a alphabet with a "I" word.[/citation]
Interesting fact: "iOS" is a Cisco trademark, Apple uses it under license.

(check in the "About" section of your iDevice)

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]alyoshka[/nom]Surprisingly they're they only guys not suing someone for patent infringements.....[/citation]

Actually IBM has sued may companies including Amazon.

Lawsuits involving consumer products tend to get a lot more media coverage. IBM is not involved in consumer products any more.

IBM has been one of, if not the biggest lobbiest for countries to create or make easier to obtain software patents across the globe.

Which has in turn made it a lot easier for them and other large firms to obtain patents across the globe and litigate against smaller firms and startups.

yorgos

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
2 things that you should know about IBM.
1st : IBM is the father of everything in I.T. (db,oses,servers,fs,etc...)
2nd: IBM=It's Better Manually

:)

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]esrever[/nom]When do we get to see something put into action?[/citation]
You already have done but don't realise.

Ever been to a supermarket? They invented barcodes.
Ever driven over a large bridge? They invented microsensors that monitor stress points

Lots of IBM patents are nothing to do with computers but everything to do with the infrastructure of how the 21th century is constructed. Hands up who thinks this is better than a wide touchpad.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]You already have done but don't realise.Ever been to a supermarket? They invented barcodes.Ever driven over a large bridge? They invented microsensors that monitor stress pointsLots of IBM patents are nothing to do with computers but everything to do with the infrastructure of how the 21th century is constructed. Hands up who thinks this is better than a wide touchpad.[/citation]

apple patents cosmetics
ibm patents real crap.

at the same time, ibm scares the hell out of me more than anything else. i said a while back, one of their patents could be used for drug deal finding.... im looking for a better pain medication than vicoden 7.5/750 (the 750mg acedamediphen is what will kill your liver, good luck getting a replacement because if you take enough to kill it, they see you as an addict, im looking for something without out a built in kill switch) now if i go online and ask about the stronger (yet less dangerous) drugs, such as oxycontin, i have a somewhat legitimate fear of of being raided by the atf for it.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]You already have done but don't realise.Ever been to a supermarket? They invented barcodes.Ever driven over a large bridge? They invented microsensors that monitor stress pointsLots of IBM patents are nothing to do with computers but everything to do with the infrastructure of how the 21th century is constructed. Hands up who thinks this is better than a wide touchpad.[/citation]

Sorry, IBM did NOT invent bar codes. They just hired the guys who invented them !

US Patent 2,612,994

Status
Not open for further replies.