IBM Patents Graphics Rendering on a Network On Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I'd like to patent brain upload - a virtual software brain (kind of like a virtual machine but with virtual neurons) hooked up to a converter that translates human brain activity to the virtual format via nano-electrodes.
Then I'm going to sit and do nothing until someone makes a useful version of my patent and then I'll sue their ass off! Patents rule, yeah!

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Wow. AMD/Intel/NVidia and countless other vendors better shut this patent down quick. That loose definition of a NOC pretty much includes every CPU with embedded video.

mattclary

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
Network rendering is old hat, just because the network has been shrunk does not make it new or innovative. That's the problem with the patent system, idiots grant patents on obvious stuff.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
I'm trying to understand exactly what this would be useful for.. Would these be for cloud computing so that your home pc doesn't have to do any rendering? Would this make cloud computing or even regular internet surfing safer because your home pc has less code to execute?

Gatorbait

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
Eraser: Patented. Pencil: Patented. You can not patent Eraser + Pencil. That is all this patent is for: Network processor + Graphics core. Parallel graphics on network processors for cloud graphics processing is not patentable. US PTO is a joke... will issue anything. No different than giving a server a IP address and having it do rendering and sending back the results... just making it dedicated... Another US PTO FAIL... but what do you expect, its government!

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
lol wut? another company patenting the concept instead of a product? Just you wait, by 2015 or so all progress will stop because the greedy fools will claw to their copyrights instead of sharing the knowledge and innovating... all for nothing, since you can't take any cash with you into your grave :p

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

I'm afraid so.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]I'd like to patent brain upload - a virtual software brain (kind of like a virtual machine but with virtual neurons) hooked up to a converter that translates human brain activity to the virtual format via nano-electrodes.Then I'm going to sit and do nothing until someone makes a useful version of my patent and then I'll sue their ass off! Patents rule, yeah![/citation]
Could you provide us with a technical document showing how that is done, it would be very interesting to see how you manage to overcome the problem of Neurone decay whilst transmitting via Z-particles.
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]lol wut? another company patenting the concept instead of a product? Just you wait, by 2015 or so all progress will stop because the greedy fools will claw to their copyrights instead of sharing the knowledge and innovating... all for nothing, since you can't take any cash with you into your grave[/citation]
IBM has been the number 1 highest submitter of new patent ideas for the last 17 consecutive years, some of their ideas take decades to reach fruition and some of them are not even for "computers" as such. Almost 5000 last year and a further 4000 that it didn't patent and push out into the world on free license so other people could innovate further without fear of litigation.

IBM are not patent trolls, which is what you are implying, they actually make things and get this, they don't just buy up patents, they spend big in R&D to get this lot to the tune of $6 billion a year.

There are things that IBM has made that you don't even know and they are in every persons house, used every day whilst they work, shop, play.
Magnetic strip, such as on the back of credit cards
Electonic weighing scales
Bar codes
Hard drives
Transistor memory, the standard for all computer RAM
The PC/At, the standard for all home PCs
Laser eye surgery
UV dental treatment
Electronic catalogue, for online shopping

They pretty much invented the 21st century, welcome to IBMs world

daneren2005

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]Cazalan[/nom]Wow. AMD/Intel/NVidia and countless other vendors better shut this patent down quick. That loose definition of a NOC pretty much includes every CPU with embedded video.[/citation]
Luckily IBM isn't a patent troll

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

I'm not implying that IBM are patent trolls and I don't care about anyone's past accomplishments; what's done is done. What I'm pissed off about is the fact that the article is titled "patented"... can we talk about the invention instead of a patent? :pfff: Well, at least the article itself somewhat makes sense.

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I'm thankful for IBM. They help keep us safe with their technology. I spoke with an ex IBM employee years ago & he didn't go into details but said they make tech for govt that are about 10 to 15 years beyond IC's that are widly available & released to public.

galvinon

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
hmm can this network card offload some of the duties of video playback, if so then this could be great for Thin clients :D

galvinon

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
hmm can this network card offload some of the duties of video playback, if so then this could be great for Thin clients :D

Status
Not open for further replies.