IBM Roadrunner Remains World's Fastest Supercomputer

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Whats funny is in 10 years your standard notebook will have that processing power XD can't wait

G

Damn install seti@home on that thing and we'll find ET in like 2 days, then install fah for a cure to cancer by the end of the week... but who cares about that stuff when we've got new weapons to develop eh

G

^ really... they need to straighten their priorities out... by the time nuclear material decays... like in 5000 years... we'll all be dead anyway so whats the point of simulating it... why not do stuff that can affect us now

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
We really need to invest in non-weapon use of supercomputer power. Japan and European countries use theirs to simulate weather and earthquakes.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Someone needs to build another AMD based Super Computer to keep AMD in business. Roadrunner and Jaguar accounted for 60% of AMDs sales this year.

lol j/k. Notice how none of the super computers are Intel Based? Its cause AMD rulez.

G

@thogrom
Actually, according to the article, if we presume that technological progress continues we may have desktops that reach these levels, since ten years ago their supercomputers were in teraflops and our current desktops can process in the teraflops (only with the help of high powered parallel processors, such as graphics cards/stream processors).

jamesl

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
"The operating systems used by Roadrunner are said to be Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Fedora,"

so I guess it can't play Crysis

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
I wonder if the PS4 will use a IBM PowerXCell 8i? they said they would stick with the cell base, so it seems possible. PS4 with 32 SPU's FTW!

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]fazers_on_stun[/nom]Yeah, but will it play Crysis??[/citation]

no, it lacks the adequate intelligence and decision making abilities to PLAY crysis.

salem80

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]Put Vista on them. I bet that will slow them down.[/citation]
Nice One ...just if they not have BSOD on it ..they will have one with Vista .haaaaaaaaaaa

Status
Not open for further replies.