IBM Rolls Out New Power 7 With Watson Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Calculations that used to take a month to run are now finished in less than a week. This means that I can do eight times more science in the same timeframe than I could do before

So thats less than a 5 day working week yeah?

Get Watson to answer this one.

Im going back to doing more science while I wait for the answer...

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
"Calculations that used to take a month to run are now finished in less than a week. This means that I can do eight times more science in the same timeframe"

Did I miss something in my math? I count only 4x as much work, certainly by "less than a week" he means, "less than 4 days" because a week is still 7 days and a month is a 28-31 days, last I checked.

2+2=5 for large instances of 2? Perhaps...

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]macelo[/nom]but can it play crysis?[/citation]
I would dare ask a more frightening question: When will "it" advance enough to be called "he" or "she"?

vittau

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
[citation][nom]K2N hater[/nom]I'm sure the professor will find a way to make calculations so complex it will take a month to complete.[/citation]I know a way:

while(true){}

There, that should take quite a while (excuse the pun). =P

G

Okay guys read the article it says "as much as eight times faster". That would mean that sometimes it might be 4 days instead of a month. Sometimes it might be 6 days instead of a month. He included both of those options by saying less than a week.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
[citation][nom]Adensk[/nom]He included both of those options by saying less than a week.[/citation]

Look, I agree, but its Friday so today I nit pick and drink beer while reading Toms. The quote sais "...I can do eight times more science..."

Just raising the fact that the words coming out of this guys word hole are dumb. He probably should have spent more time thinking about what he was saying, instead of doing "More Science".

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
There's nothing 'elementary' about it. The name Watson is from IBM's founder Tom Watson and has nothing to do with Sherlock Holmes.

Status
Not open for further replies.