IBM Settles Bribery Charge With $10 Million

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alyon

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
@Dark_lord69

Different, yes. Non-existent, no. The Korean business owners I was making an example of were all American based. Bribery in America is best labeled as lobbying (as stated above). America is probably one of the most strict areas for bribery though.

That seems like a pretty good deal for IBM to get their foot in the door in China. Hell now that they have there foot in the door they may have turned there selves in to use this as ammo to say we can't offer any more bribes.

wizardprang

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
[citation][nom]webbwbb[/nom]What I find to be strange is that a US government agency is fining them for actions that may or may not be illegal in the countries in which they were committed. It seem to me that they should only be able to fine them if those things were done in the US..[/citation]

Well put. Funny how everyone -- including me -- missed that part. Reminds me of the Sklyarov case, when a Russian programmer working for a Russian company in Russian was arrested for breaking the DMCA. Fortunately the jury saw sense and acquitted.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
To all who say this is how it works in some parts of the world, it's true, and worse.
Ever witnessed being openly told by the one in charge they want 60% of what the whole project will cost as PERSONAL fee, otherwise the other candidates will get the project and will pay the 60% also but will do a worse job and will still have a gain... after seeing that, blood boiling and all, the rest of bribery cases seem rather small *sighs*

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
That's where the lobbyists come in... Lawyers who are paid to bribe politicians.

[citation][nom]ikefu[/nom]The fine is actually because the bribes paid to Chinese officials was bigger than the bribes paid to the SEC guys and they were mad.Ever wonder how congressmen afford private jets and mansions on 400k a year? Its a good wage but not nearly enough for the lifestyles they have.[/citation]

Status
Not open for further replies.