IBM Switching to Firefox as Default Browser

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Considering they mentioned OSX and Linux, of which IE is available on neither (Safari is default on OSX, and Linux is distro specific, usually Firefox, Konqueror or Epiphany) I don't think IE is necessarily the big issue, but the issue that many people maybe using many different browsers.

I myself run Arch Linux, and I primarily use Chrome, I have Epiphany installed (came with gnome-extras), along with Minefield x64 (Firefox) which I occasionally use when something doesn't work on Chrome (ironic, I know). Just picking something to stick too can make a lot of processes between users and co-workers easier.

Titanius

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
To the idiots, that rated Firefox not enterprise ready a few months ago, I say: "Stick that in your pipes and smoke it!"

g0rilla

Distinguished
May 15, 2007
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Tried switching to Firefox a while back and just didn't like it on a personal computer level. My company won't allow Firefox to connect to our VPN. My GF works for the state and she can't log into her work computer with Firefox. Firefox will always be around but will never replace IE. My IT department laughed when I mentioned support for Firefox, Chrome, etc. Just as 90% of world runs Windows almost as many run IE. It will never change. Thumb me down all you want..lol[/citation]

You may want to read this article:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704178004575351290753354382.html

COLGeek

Cybernaut
IT folks generally want the most simple and generic installs possible to minimize how much stuff they have to deal with. I agree that Firefox is a superior product to IE in many ways, but it is a moot point if organizations don't see the value of using something other than MS products. I once had a boss that felt that if MS made it, it must be good (regardless of how often MS products failed us). HOOAH to IBM for making the better choice!!!

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]tank[/nom]Only problem still is that the government secure login sites still use IE. Hopefully they can update to more modern times also.[/citation]
Not all the government, I can log into my &^%$% (non disclosed) account with my Mac using Firefox. The FEDS do like to use random virtual keyboards do enter your password.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]I use IE and rarely use Opera.don't really care about friefox or any other browser.[/citation]
IE huh, so is that what the pop tells you say since your PC is probably owned now by viruses and Trojans.

shovenose

Distinguished
[citation][nom]r_pad[/nom]I actually read the article but can only think of one thing. 'Firefox on top' ---[/citation]
muahahahaha i use IE on all (9-15)(i lost cound) computers. i have tried firefox but i dont find it different enough or that much better to bother downloading it...

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Tried switching to Firefox a while back and just didn't like it on a personal computer level. My company won't allow Firefox to connect to our VPN. My GF works for the state and she can't log into her work computer with Firefox. Firefox will always be around but will never replace IE. My IT department laughed when I mentioned support for Firefox, Chrome, etc. Just as 90% of world runs Windows almost as many run IE. It will never change. Thumb me down all you want..lol[/citation]
First off, learn how to set up your browser for a proxy server environment (like the condition you experience where Firefox doesn't work). Second, get your numbers straight - Internet Explorer is teetering on the brink of dropping below 50% market share in about a year or two time - which is a far cry from your 90% (unless you are referring to the mid/late-nineties). IE started their march downhill a long time ago.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I used Firefox for about a year, but once I went to Opera, there's just no going back.

Sure, it's faster, but it's hard to say why it's so difficult to leave. It's got a strange charm - one that you don't even understand when you're using it. You just know you like using it more. It's weird, but Opera gets to be a hard habit to shake.

I feel bad for all the guys drooling over an average looking girl with a sexually oriented pose. She's not particularly pretty, she doesn't have a big chest, and she probably snores and can't cook. I see no evidence of gardening skills either. For $12 and an espresso, she'll probably put on an IE shirt too, and maybe even a baseball cap. Set your sights higher.

G

The girl must be unfaithful. She's constantly seen with Firefox and MS Iexplorer tshirts...
She'll probably be like that in real life too...
The irony is that many beautiful women are unfaithful...
Ow, this article was about something else?

G

It's really glad to read about the following topic which has

enhanced my knowledge regarding topic and plus has given

alot of ideas which I can think on.
So I would say thank you to the blog owner for providing

this amazing information.

Status
Not open for further replies.