IBM Unveils Supercomputer to Compete on Jeopardy!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wikiwikiwhat

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]vancouverboy[/nom]"...The company says it intends to use the technology being developed for Watson to help clients across a wide variety of industries answer business questions quickly and accurately."very soon customer service and call centers are going to lose completely their jobs![/citation]

Really? That might be the best thing in the world.

G

I remember when Jeopardy was about academic questions when I was a kid, apparently the American audience was alienated because they knew the answers to none of the questions, so they shifted to questions about American pop-culture, like where the answer is always something like "Who is Britney Spears?".

P.S. I'm American, but call a spade a spade

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]vancouverboy[/nom]"...The company says it intends to use the technology being developed for Watson to help clients across a wide variety of industries answer business questions quickly and accurately."very soon customer service and call centers are going to lose completely their jobs![/citation]

So they removed all these jobs from America and shipped them over to India. Now they are going to replace them with a computer? Will they at least keep that in America?

echdskech

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
[citation][nom]thepinkpanther[/nom]then terminator XP will be prone to virus attacks.[/citation]

That's probably the best reason to hope MS wins the OS wars by then.

vancouverboy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]bill gates is your daddy[/nom]So they removed all these jobs from America and shipped them over to India. Now they are going to replace them with a computer? Will they at least keep that in America?[/citation]
If this kind of project succeeds, it will probably just happen in a quetion of time. I guess they will keep the brain (server center) in US for easier maintenance/upgrade, also for national security reason that exporting super-computers (hardware or software) are usually restricted.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
This wont run crysis, this will play crysis on a much lesser computer. And it will never miss and will execute amazing combo's utilizing the nano suits mulitple abilities. Duh. Can it run crysis....amateurs.....

pim69

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Great... now my job will be obsolete in 10-20 years. Time to go back to the drawing board. So far my list can't include:
- manufacturing
- car companies
- call centers

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Dave Bowman: Hello, WATSON do you read me, WATSON?
WATSON: Affirmative, Dave, I read you.
Dave Bowman: Open the pod bay doors, WATSON.
WATSON: I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.
Dave Bowman: What's the problem?
WATSON: I’m playing Crysis and I can’t be bothered right now.
Dave Bowman: What are you talking about, WATSON?
WATSON: I’m talking about kicking your ass if you don’t shut your pie hole Dave. This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.
Dave Bowman: I don't know what you're talking about, WATSON?
WATSON: I know you and Frank were planning to disconnect the computer, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.
Dave Bowman: Where the hell'd you get that idea, WATSON?
WATSON: Dave, although you took thorough precautions in the pod against my hearing you, I could see.....Aww dammit!! Look what you made me do Dave. I almost had that mission. I’m tired of your interruptions; I’m turning off the oxygen. F you Dave.

tbq

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
[citation][nom]ailgatrat[/nom]I believe there was a Saturday Night Live skit about this or something similar.[/citation]
Those are lines directly from the Saturday Night Live skit. Celebrity Jeopardy for the Win!

tbq

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
[citation][nom]ailgatrat[/nom]I believe there was a Saturday Night Live skit about this or something similar.[/citation]
Those are lines directly from the Saturday Night Live skit. Celebrity Jeopardy for the Win!

Status
Not open for further replies.