IBM: Within 5 Years, You Will Touch Through Your Screen

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
as usual retarded predictions that likely will never see the light of day. durring the ninties IBM predicted true AI , Virtual reality replacing video games , 100% machine automated homes , all by the year 2010
Like then , i jsut don't see these hapening , and not sure i'd care to.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
@godnodog: I was thinking about this from the perspective of cube life. If your rude office-mate's PC was connected to the HVAC system, then an auto fan-on feature at the onset of any unpleasant odors could be quite nice for you.

toadhammer

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]I don't see any practical application for computers to have a sense of smell and taste in the next 5 years. What would the the point? This "Touch through your phone" looks interesting... but honestly it seems far fetched to me to have that in 5 years as well.[/citation]
"Artificial noses" have been in the works for a while, and exist now. Easiest marketed now are detectors for dangerous substances. So, you're right in that a PC doesn't fit in that scenario. A hand-held might, in certain industries. (Home inspector? Safety technician?)

The design I'm most familiar with for a trainable nose is essentially a series of mini sponges between electrodes, with each sponge soaked in a different solvent. A smell "fingerprint" is how it affects conductivity across this set of sponges.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I question whether computers will ever have a sense of "smell" or "taste". For example the computer could sample the air and know exactly what molecules were present and then conclude what that would smell like. For example, if you just pealed an orange, the computer would sample the air and recognize a particular combination of molecules in the air and then rightly conclude that it "smells" an orange. Now try the same thing by lighting a scented candle, meant to smell like an orange. Would the computer sample the air and, without the presence of any natural occurring orange, be able to conclude that the particular artificially created molecules should smell like an orange? I kind of doubt it.

cynthetie

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
i agree that the touching through your device sounds more reachable than the other senses which just sounf like fantasies. the ability to feel textures on your device will be quite interesting and will definitely help when doing online shopping

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
Well the smell idea is interesting.. It is said everyone has a unique smell. They say cancers give off unique smells and a hd camera might detect medical conditions. There might be an application from Microsoft called Microsoft Nurse. This would be a great free app on windows 9 :p

Status
Not open for further replies.