IBM Working on 10 Petaflop Supercomputer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
I was at this facility last year and they talked about the blue waters project. Really amazing place. Can't wait to see that thing in action, and what they can do with it.

obiown77

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
[citation][nom]pbrigido[/nom]I think I will hurt the next person who makes a reference to a computer and its ability to play Crysis.[/citation]

ya man, enough talk about Crysis (1) already, I'm getting sick of hearing that crap aswell..

I wonder if this machine could prevent a cpu bottleneck when Crysis 2 is released?

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
Well, if it had like a gazzilion of 5970, it would be able to play crysis or the second one at quad-full-hd with 16x aa and 16 as.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Call me when they announce the first supercomputer with one yottaflop :), or maybe whit one xeraflop if I'll still be alive by then ...

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Why doesn't IBM sell their processors at retail? I know some of what we read about here is enterprise grade only, but it seems to me that very little keeps them from making processors for hp, dell or acer.

Which means, I am probably missing something.

Ehsan w

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Cryogenic[/nom]Call me when they announce the first supercomputer with one yottaflop , or maybe whit one xeraflop if I'll still be alive by then ...[/citation]

oh man I hope so,
by that time we wont even have to think for ourselves XD

El_Capitan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
I think I will hurt the next person who makes a reference to hurting a person who makes a reference to a computer and it's ability to play Crysis.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
All I can say is that I still play Crysis regularly and it is still a pretty good benchmark on real world hardware performance

And this computer should be able to play Crysis ;)

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]All I can say is that I still play Crysis regularly and it is still a pretty good benchmark on real world hardware performanceAnd this computer should be able to play Crysis[/citation]
I doubt it will have more than an 8MB video card (if it even has one)... although, it probably wont have problems running in software, probably make a good dedicated server though.

ssalim

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
[citation][nom]deathmustard[/nom]the comp in my room can only do at peak 9 petaflops so this one is pretty good.[/citation]

No, you are mistaken. Your comp in your room can only flop. Sorry.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Petaflops? Units of animal cruelty?

*Collective groan*

More on topic...The Power7 looks like it will be a monster. 8 cores per chip, 2 chips per module, 4 threads per core...You do the math.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]Petaflops? Units of animal cruelty?*Collective groan*More on topic...The Power7 looks like it will be a monster. 8 cores per chip, 2 chips per module, 4 threads per core...You do the math.[/citation]
4 threads per core. :O

Go IBM. =D

AtuBrian

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
[citation][nom]pbrigido[/nom]I think I will hurt the next person who makes a reference to a computer and its ability to play Crysis.[/citation]
omfg me to really annoying now

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
[citation][nom]scryer_360[/nom]Why doesn't IBM sell their processors at retail? I know some of what we read about here is enterprise grade only, but it seems to me that very little keeps them from making processors for hp, dell or acer. Which means, I am probably missing something.[/citation]
Yes, the part your missing is a magic little thing called x86. IBM isn't licenced to produce chips featuring the x86 instruction set, only Intel, AMD and VIA are.

powerbaselx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
[citation][nom]scryer_360[/nom]Why doesn't IBM sell their processors at retail? I know some of what we read about here is enterprise grade only, but it seems to me that very little keeps them from making processors for hp, dell or acer. Which means, I am probably missing something.[/citation]

Several reasons...
1) IBM POWER processors were removed by Apple from its product line and replaced by Intel tech.
2) IBM sold its consumer line to Lenovo due to low margins, and because the consumer products they sold were based on Intel/AMD/Windows which is out of control of IBM Research and Development. IBM kept the xSeries and Blade servers. Some Blade servers use POWER processors.
3) Consumer market don't use IBM operating systems (AIX, z/VM) and so there is the lack of both aspects at the sametime (no CPU and no OS).
4) IBM invested a lot on Cell processors which are used by Sony on Playstations, Toshiba on high resolution TV's, on zSeries mainframes by some Software houses to support on-line gaming and even by Microsoft on Xbox 360.
5) IBM provides (sells?) some new tech to AMD so the consumer market and the Windows enterprise market don't fall definitelly on the hands of a single provider=Intel.

HP has a strong agreement with Intel regarding Intel Itanium processors to compete directly with IBM POWER processors. So i'm not seeing IBM selling POWER processors to HP or HP will to buy them...

Quite impressive. I can't even imagine the kind of processing power that beast will have once it is completed. Funny how it will be based at the U of I, as I recall the "super computer" in 2001 A Space Odyssey was "built" there. No idea why I pointed that out, but hey, it's a good movie.

powerbaselx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
[citation][nom]B-Unit[/nom]IBM isn't licenced to produce chips featuring the x86 instruction set, only Intel, AMD and VIA are.[/citation]

Well actually it's Intel the proprietary of the x86 patents. So it's Intel that licenses it to AMD and VIA.

Anyway there are three aspects to consider:
1) Intel sells x86 processors to IBM (and so does AMD) but sells also to Dell, HP, Siemens, Apple, ... , and so probably for the Windows Server market it's cheaper for IBM and other companies to buy the chips to Intel rather than to produce them and pay royalties to Intel. And IBM is also one of the most important customers for Intel and Intel don't want IBM to focus only on AMD x86, POWER and Cell processors... you'll never know what Intel could expect from that important change.
2) IBM had an important experience several years ago with Cyrix processors which was a fiasco. So probably it's not interesting to go back in time and do it again.
3) It is known that IBM pushes AMD, providing technology and know-how (just like that High-K stuff), and AMD is a special case regarding in using Intel x86 patents (just read the recent news about Intel+AMD agreement for 5 years!).

So this is a long term complex relationship between Intel and IBM regarding x86, because both are producers, sellers and customers!

Status
Not open for further replies.