ICS, Ad Hoc Networks, and Suicide

Wilhelm_E_Teddy

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
I am on a Toshiba Satellite laptop running Windows 7 in Italy - of all places. Down here they sell USB internet dongles for use with mobile carriers (all of which suck). I'm using a Huawei K3765.

The real question though is about ICS and ad hoc networks. For many, many months I've shared the Dial-Up Connection (the USB dongle) using ICS and my wireless network connection. This is so the iPad can get on the internet. For many, many months it has worked fine.

Yesterday, I made the mistake of taking the laptop to a local school to connect to their wi-fi with DSL. Mysteriously, when I tried to connect, even though I had the correct password, it wouldn't connect. Windows 7 asked to troubleshoot the connection, I said sure. At one stage, it either said DCHP was enabled or disabled and this had to be fixed. I clicked OK, and got online and it went swimmingly.

Last night, I came home, connected via the Dial-Up Connection like usual, connected to the ad hoc wi-fi network... but this time on the iPad, though the wi-fi ad hoc network showed as a choice, the iPad said there was no internet connection via that network. I tested it with the iPad, and sure, the iPad was right. No internet connection.

I created a new ad hoc network and got rid of the old one. No difference. I uninstalled and reinstalled the wireless adapter in Device Manager. I created a new ad hoc network. Still no dice.

I don't mind telling you years of heavy drinking have ruined me for this sort of thing. I used to savor this kind of problem as an intellectual challenge - and after six hours on Google, get it all sorted. I don't have the stamina for it anymore. I'd like instead to smash the iPad, the computer, and every employee of Apple and Microsoft who ever lived.

Any advice on how to fix this is appreciated! Every help page I can locate has instructions on how to set up an ad hoc network from scratch. I know how to do that already.

Cheers.