News Icy Box ‘Big Block’ Cooler for Tiny M.2-2280 SSDs: Heatsink, Heat Pipes, Fan

Spectre4444

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
While I agree that M.2 2280 SSD temps can easily get way too hot, with some M.2 2280 socket (s) on the underside of most motherboards, 2X or more wide video cards and mid / high end motherboards with integrated heat spreaders - where exactly is this cooler supposed to be useable ? and who is supposed to purchase this ?

tiggers97

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2013
While I agree that M.2 2280 SSD temps can easily get way too hot, with some M.2 2280 socket (s) on the underside of most motherboards, 2X or more wide video cards and mid / high end motherboards with integrated heat spreaders - where exactly is this cooler supposed to be useable ? and who is supposed to purchase this ?

You beat me to it. If it sn't too expensive, I'd be tempted to buy one just because it looks a little cool. But if my primary M.2 slot is to close to under my primary video PCIe slot, it won't fit. I haven't built a new PC yet (waiting for Zen3) that used M.2, so I'm really not too sure how it would go.

torbjorn.lindgren

Honorable
Jan 13, 2019
No, this more than likely DECREASE the endurance!

Controller failures are rare so failures is primarily controlled by the NAND flash endurance which tends to be best between roughly 40C and 60C... I doubt it increase it enough to actually matter but it makes an already silly product even more silly.

The controller silicone prefer lower temperatures over higher but is fine in the ~60C they say their competitor runs the M.2 card. IIRC most SSD controllers thermally throttle around 75-80C, you definitely want to avoid throttling but that temperature limit is there for the controller, the flash would be fine with that.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
You beat me to it. If it sn't too expensive, I'd be tempted to buy one just because it looks a little cool. But if my primary M.2 slot is to close to under my primary video PCIe slot, it won't fit. I haven't built a new PC yet (waiting for Zen3) that used M.2, so I'm really not too sure how it would go.

This cooler would be usable if you buy the right motherboard for it with enough clearance for at least one M2 slot.

But I dont see it needed at all anyways unless we start seeing 15 watts NVME drives.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
No, this more than likely DECREASE the endurance!

Controller failures are rare so failures is primarily controlled by the NAND flash endurance which tends to be best between roughly 40C and 60C... I doubt it increase it enough to actually matter but it makes an already silly product even more silly.

The controller silicone prefer lower temperatures over higher but is fine in the ~60C they say their competitor runs the M.2 card. IIRC most SSD controllers thermally throttle around 75-80C, you definitely want to avoid throttling but that temperature limit is there for the controller, the flash would be fine with that.

endurance has nothing to do with this . and endurance cant control anything , endurance is not a controller lolz .

mrv_co

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2016
I'm just imagining the screws and stand-offs for the motherboard that would be required to install this on bottom mount SSD drives :oops:

Regardless, I'm looking at this and I'm looking at the stock heat sync for the topside SSD on my new B550i Aorus Pro Ax mobo and I'm thinking this cooler is overkill if it doesn't conflict with the GPU and CPU fans airflow outright.