Review ID-Cooling SE-207-XT Review: Big Air on a Budget

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Page 3, last sentence:
"Just keep your expectations in check, or opt for something more-expensive (and lager) if you’re after the highest possible overclocks on high-core CPUs."

Besides not having had a beer in a couple years, I guess that was a typo for larger.

This was an excellent review. It's actually compared to all the dual tower coolers that you would expect, even Noctua, which usually gets left out. I like that everyone's old standby the 212 is on the list too, sort of helps gives a baseline (or determine if it's money well spent?).

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Would like to see the Scythe Fuma 2 in there. It's the same price. Most of those are a little more.
I agree. The Fuma 2 is a formidable dual tower cooler despite its price and size when compared to dual tower cooler from brand like BeQuiet. In my own experience using both the Fuma 2 and Dark Rock 4 Pro, the latter only edges out by around 2 to 3 degrees cooling my 3900X with an ambient temp of around 27 degs.

I suspect the issue with this cooler from ID Cooling is the fan used. Swapping out the fans will cost more money, but I think should help improve cooling. Perhaps the review can include tests to see if it is a problem with the fan or with the heatsink itself that is limiting cooling performance.

Nice review Garret, as usual.

My take on this is, "pass". As in, "I'll pass".

Because what's the point of dealing with the difficulties of a big, twin finstack cooler that only performs as well as a premium single stack cooler? If I'm going to deal with a giant cooler, I'd better get giant cooler-ish performance, or else it's absolutely not worth it and I might as well use a smaller premium cooler like the U14S, U12A, Direct 140, etc., which can usually be had for around the same price AND come with higher quality fans that likely will offer a longer lifetime of performance anyhow.

Enlighter4407

Reputable
Jan 16, 2017
Hmm, how does this compare to Thermalright Frost 140? In my area the ID Cooling and the Thermalright are virtually at the same price (52-55 USD after VAT). I have yet to see a proper review on the Frost 140 , though...