[SOLVED] I'd like to have your opinion on this PC Build

Dec 8, 2020
I'm giving myself a good generalist midtower Desktop: mostly office, some occasionally video editing, very few games, multitasking, no overclocking, especially silent.
I would like to know what do you think and if you see any incompatibility.
Thanks!
CaseCorsair Carbide CC-9011077-WW, Silent Edition, 100R, without window
PSURM550x 80 PLUS Gold
MBAsus Prime B550-Plus (or Asus Prime X570-P, but more expensive)
CPUAMD Ryzen 7 3700X
RAMCorsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 (2x8GB)
GPUASUS Geforce GT 1030 Fanless 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card, DVI, HDMI
SSD 1Samsung Memorie MZ-V7S1T0 970 EVO Plus SSD, 1 TB, PCIe NVMe M.2
SSD 2Samsung Memorie MZ-77Q1T0BW 870 QVO SSD, 1 TB, SATA, 2.5"
DVDASUS DRW-24D5MT

Solution
MOBO/CPU/RAM combo is good.
PSU is more than enough,but if you want to buy a gaming gpu later on,then its ok.
2TB of SSD storage,pretty fast.
Case is good,but you will see all the cables,since it doesnt have a psu shroud,but you can tell the case isnt really meant for gaming purposes.
A bit overkill for the things you will do,but it will last you many years.
MOBO/CPU/RAM combo is good.
PSU is more than enough,but if you want to buy a gaming gpu later on,then its ok.
2TB of SSD storage,pretty fast.
Case is good,but you will see all the cables,since it doesnt have a psu shroud,but you can tell the case isnt really meant for gaming purposes.
A bit overkill for the things you will do,but it will last you many years.

Reactions: Why_Me
Solution
Jan 2, 2021
I will say that the GT 1030 is NOT powerful enough to give the best performance with the Ryzen 7 3700x. However, with GPUs being very overpriced right now, it would be very difficult to get a better gpu for a decent price. Better matches for the GPU if price does not matter would be on the high end of the RTX 2000 series from NVIDIA, or the RX 5700 from AMD. You could probably take money from the cpu to get a Ryzen 5 3600 (which is still an amazing CPU), to help get a better graphics card. For mostly office use, a GPU something like the GTX 1050 Ti or the GTX 1600 series would be entirely sufficient, nothing crazy would be needed. By taking money out of the CPU, you could also invest in a motherboard with WiFi (unless you have it in a room with an ethernet cable), more RAM, and more case fans (quiet fans, of course). One case I would recommend is the Phanteks P360A, as it is a very good case with quiet fans. For the computer being quiet, the SSDs are good choices.
Finding quiet peripherals in your situation would be most important in my opinion, either a quiet membrane keyboard or a mechanical keyboard with linear switches. There are also mice which do not make clicking noises that would help with noise.

Reactions: Zerk2012

GregoryDude

Distinguished
May 16, 2015
I concur with others. Ditch the 1030 ( I know fanless is tempting), but at least go with a 1050 Ti. You mentioned video editing, while most basic editing utilizes the CPU, there are parts that use the GPU, especially when it comes to accelerated encoding, and that is when Nvidia CUDA cores come into play (programs like Adobe Premier, DVDFab, etc.). The 1030 is pretty much inadequate in that department.

Everything else looks solid and ditto on the aftermarket CPU cooling - perhaps an AIO with 120mm or 140mm fan will be much quieter. That stock cooler sounds like a jet engine when it gets going due to the small fan blades.

Dec 8, 2020
I will say that the GT 1030 is NOT powerful enough to give the best performance with the Ryzen 7 3700x. However, with GPUs being very overpriced right now, it would be very difficult to get a better gpu for a decent price. Better matches for the GPU if price does not matter would be on the high end of the RTX 2000 series from NVIDIA, or the RX 5700 from AMD. You could probably take money from the cpu to get a Ryzen 5 3600 (which is still an amazing CPU), to help get a better graphics card. For mostly office use, a GPU something like the GTX 1050 Ti or the GTX 1600 series would be entirely sufficient, nothing crazy would be needed. By taking money out of the CPU, you could also invest in a motherboard with WiFi (unless you have it in a room with an ethernet cable), more RAM, and more case fans (quiet fans, of course). One case I would recommend is the Phanteks P360A, as it is a very good case with quiet fans. For the computer being quiet, the SSDs are good choices.
Finding quiet peripherals in your situation would be most important in my opinion, either a quiet membrane keyboard or a mechanical keyboard with linear switches. There are also mice which do not make clicking noises that would help with noise.
Thank for your answear.
  • I have ethernet cable.
  • for GPU I prefer to wait for better prices in the future. (I'm not a gamer)
  • for second (slower SSD) which is it better: Crucial MX500 1TB or Samsung MZ-77Q1T0BW 870 QVO SSD?
By

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
Case is good,but you will see all the cables
Hi. The 100R is a standard case, without glass or unnecessary gimmicks, a pretty solid choice IMHO.
The graphics card though, a 1030 for video editing isn't going to cut it, and I agree with the rest about the cooler, stock Ryzen is noisy unless you put a limit to it using the BIOS setup, but then you could run into overheating issues, even more with a case with little air intake. A larger heatsink should do the trick here.
GL

Reactions: Dj0gany
Jan 2, 2021
Thank for your answear.
  • I have ethernet cable.
  • for GPU I prefer to wait for better prices in the future. (I'm not a gamer)
  • for second (slower SSD) which is it better: Crucial MX500 1TB or Samsung MZ-77Q1T0BW 870 QVO SSD?
By
I'm not sure, but for my own personal build I'm using a Samsung 860 Evo 500GB, if you want a TB of storage, the 1TB version can be found here for fairly cheap.

Dec 8, 2020
Hi. The 100R is a standard case, without glass or unnecessary gimmicks, a pretty solid choice IMHO.
The graphics card though, a 1030 for video editing isn't going to cut it, and I agree with the rest about the cooler, stock Ryzen is noisy unless you put a limit to it using the BIOS setup, but then you could run into overheating issues, even more with a case with little air intake. A larger heatsink should do the trick here.
GL
Thank you.
For the cooler I'm staying with standard now. In summer probably I will change it. I can't have the Ryzen 3700x without the cooler, rigth? So if I have to pay I will give it a chance...