[SOLVED] I'd like to move my Windows 10 from one drive to another (?)

Beave89

Reputable
Jul 11, 2019
I am making a new build ( some parts are being reused, like my HDD's and SATA SSD) and I would like to uninstall my Windows 10 (License key and everything, its a windows 10 disk if that helps) from my 2.5 inch SATA SSD and do a fresh install on my M.2 SSD. How would i go about this? Would it be smarter to transfer my files from my SATA SSD to my M.2 drive? If so, how would I go about doing that?

I am making a new build ( some parts are being reused, like my HDD's and SATA SSD) and I would like to uninstall my Windows 10 (License key and everything, its a windows 10 disk if that helps) from my 2.5 inch SATA SSD and do a fresh install on my M.2 SSD. How would i go about this? Would it be smarter to transfer my files from my SATA SSD to my M.2 drive? If so, how would I go about doing that?

Simply, you can use cloning software, however I usually do not fiddle around with cloning and got my important files on the cloud/usb drive and put it in on the new drive once windows was installed. Don't worry about a windows key, it will be activated regardless if its tied to your account. The only time I can recall buying a new licence is when I switched my motherboard.

USAFRet

Titan
Lots of moving parts here.
New PC AND new drive?

In this case, cloning is not recommended.

The new system needs a clean install.

For the OS license:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change