id Software Finally Releases Edited Doom 3 Source Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaborbarla

Distinguished
So creative patented the "Carmack's Reverse" back in '99? Reminds me of the time in the 90s when some company patented cursor flashing using XOr, so all programmers had to write dubiously long code to flash cursors.

I feel there is something fundamentally wrong with this whole process of patenting.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
shadows is basically the only thing that my pc cant really handle all that well, i turn them down to nothing for that reason, i wish that instead of soft shadows they would revert to hard ones, hard shadows would look better than soft at the lowest end.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
Seriously, 7 years later. Who would really even want use this for any game of today. Believe me when i say this i loved the game, and honestly i never passed it because I get to scared when i would i play it. I'm just one of those poor souls that get frightened very easily. On that note though, i doubt any amazing mods or games will come from this Old technology. Release the rage code since it sucked so bad. And while your at it start making a new Quake game that resembles quake 3 arena please! I love that game. I want my fast paced shooters back in action like UT and Quake =D Re-made and redone in full action for the PC only!

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
I for one, would love to be there to welcome Creative Labs into the ground where they belong. I am sick of their bloated drivers (similar to HPs) and how they make proprietary technologies (like EAX). Reading about this doesn't surprise me at all.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
7 years and it is STILL one of the best games I have played, even today the teleport to hell through the tunnel of blood sends a creepy chill down my spine. Best played on a dark stormy night with the lights off on a big screen, preferably Halloween.
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Creative Labs patent, I would assume that it's really a 3D Labs patent. Remember that Creative Labs bought 3D Labs and all its IP, so I would presume that Creative Labs has the patent dating back to 1999 because of this.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
It's about time we've seen the Doom 3 engine (aka idTech 4) finally GPL'd. For those unaware, Carmack, Id, et. al, have liked to release the source code for their engines. Granted, in the past 10 or so years, Carmack's dogmatic clinging to OpenGL instead of DirectX has largely marginalized his engines to not be as important as they used to be, but even today, it's good to have a major engine available as open-source.

I will admit it's been disturbing that starting with Quake, each engine has taken longer from the release of the initial game to it being GPL'd as open-source: 3 years for Quake, (1996->1999) 4 for Quake II/Id Tech 2, (1997-2001) 6 for Quake III/Id Tech 3 (1999-2005) and now 7 years for Doom 3/Id Tech 4. (2004->2011)

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
[citation][nom]nottheking[/nom]It's about time we've seen the Doom 3 engine (aka idTech 4) finally GPL'd. For those unaware, Carmack, Id, et. al, have liked to release the source code for their engines. Granted, in the past 10 or so years, Carmack's dogmatic clinging to OpenGL instead of DirectX has largely marginalized his engines to not be as important as they used to be, but even today, it's good to have a major engine available as open-source.I will admit it's been disturbing that starting with Quake, each engine has taken longer from the release of the initial game to it being GPL'd as open-source: 3 years for Quake, (1996->1999) 4 for Quake II/Id Tech 2, (1997-2001) 6 for Quake III/Id Tech 3 (1999-2005) and now 7 years for Doom 3/Id Tech 4. (2004->2011)[/citation]

Its not dogmatic. It is on principle, and one that I embrace. OpenGL is an open standard for graphics technology, that is cross platform and can be implemented on any video device. DirectX is a Windows wrapper layer for video that is proprietary to Microsoft and thus can't be cross platform, ever.

You would think that OpenGL meant the burden of implementation fell on drivers, but it does even with DirectX, every new game (like Skyrim) Nvidia / AMD are in a race to release hacked drivers that optimize whatever DirectX calls new games use, without actually knowing the implementation of DirectX in the OS. Either way you go, the drivers change on a daily basis.

DirectX is just M$ getting in the way of graphics technology. OpenGL applies to everything from cell phones to rendering farms for animation to web based applications. DirectX is only ever used in gaming, and only because M$ has a ridiculous grasp on the PC gaming market, BECAUSE of their psuedo-monopoly where everyone uses DirectX, and thus Nvidia / AMD have poor OpenGL compliant drivers, etc.

OpenCL though, will probably revolutionize this entire shebang. I expect Carmack to write id 6 almost exclusively with OpenCL to crank out whatever ounce of performance per frame he can come up with. Where OpenGL is an abstraction library of binary function calls that are generalized across platform and provided by the driver, openCL is a language wrapper that lets programs execute direct GPU commands like on the 360 and ps3, which is what he was talking about at the Quakecon keynote.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Maybe I'm ignorant, but what is the purpose of this? Is anyone going to use this ancient engine for anything?

Even the last game released on this engine in 2009 ( Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena) was totally dated graphically even 2 years ago.

capttoilet

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]Maybe I'm ignorant, but what is the purpose of this? Is anyone going to use this ancient engine for anything? Even the last game released on this engine in 2009 ( Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena) was totally dated graphically even 2 years ago.[/citation]

Brink uses IDtech 4 and the upcoming Prey 2 uses it as well, so I wouldn't count it as dead yet. Hell UE2.5 is still being used and it is just as old.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
OpenGL really needs to be refreshed and brightened up to put MS back on the defensive on DirectX. I'm tired of MS dictating what graphics manufactures can and cannot do with their vid cards...

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
[citation][nom]capttoilet[/nom]Brink uses IDtech 4 and the upcoming Prey 2 uses it as well, so I wouldn't count it as dead yet. Hell UE2.5 is still being used and it is just as old.[/citation]

Wow, guess I am ignorant. That's pretty crazy, but I guess it's been updated A LOT since it's release.

G

I think they should do a major refactoring on the OpenGL-API. It's just way nicer to program DirectX as it is to do OpenGL.

Though, I'd like to see a DirectX-like API to go cross platform. That would be awesome.

[citation][nom]gaborbarla[/nom]I feel there is something fundamentally wrong with this whole process of patenting.[/citation]
Apple has shown us this more than any other company. We all KNOW there is something wrong with the patent system, the problem is no one is doing anything about it.

G

beardguy :
Maybe I'm ignorant, but what is the purpose of this? Is anyone going to use this ancient engine for anything? Even the last game released on this engine in 2009 ( Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena) was totally dated graphically even 2 years ago.

Your statement is wrong on every level. Not only are there new games coming out using the engine, Dark Athena didn't use it at all.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
[citation][nom]avisgoth[/nom]beardguy :Maybe I'm ignorant, but what is the purpose of this? Is anyone going to use this ancient engine for anything? Even the last game released on this engine in 2009 ( Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena) was totally dated graphically even 2 years ago.Your statement is wrong on every level. Not only are there new games coming out using the engine, Dark Athena didn't use it at all.[/citation]

I just discovered both of these Riddick titles used the Starbreeze Engine, my bad.

G

The Dark Mod (A Doom 3 total conversion mod which changes the game into a stealth game similar to the "Thief" series) will put this to good use...

www.thedarkmod.com

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]shadows is basically the only thing that my pc cant really handle all that well, i turn them down to nothing for that reason, i wish that instead of soft shadows they would revert to hard ones, hard shadows would look better than soft at the lowest end.[/citation]

what do people doubt me? go into skyrim and turn shadows down to as low as they can go and tell me they still look presentable, hell, i would rather not have the shadows at all at this point but no idea if i can take them out of the game with an ini

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
[citation][nom]jimmy-bee[/nom]Please do a remake of Vampire Bloodlines with this engine, that game was a cult classic and used the old Halflife engine.[/citation]

+1000 to this. That game is awesome. They need to remake it or make a sequel. Get those guys from Troika and throw money at them to make a new Bloodlines.

Status
Not open for further replies.