[SOLVED] IDE/sata usb adapter.

May 7, 2021
So I have my old ide hard drive with some files on that I wanted to transfer to my desktop.

It's a 3.5 inch so I connected it to the adapter and put extra power on it but it won't show up anywhere.
The harddrive starts up, starts spinning but nothing shows up. Anybody an idea?

Solution
There will be a physical jumper next to the IDE connector. Usually an array of 10 pins and a two-pin jumper (for more recent drives). Typically cable select (auto) is empty, but not always. The drive should have a diagram on it for where to put it.

If you don't have a jumper and need one, it is just a simple piece of wire in there, so you can use anything conductive to bridge two pins.

https://www.onlinecomputertips.com/images/h41.jpg

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your IDE drive and it's age? You sure it isn't damaged or defective? Make and model of your adapter used for powering and data transfer on the disk? A link to said adapter would hep us two fold. What OS are you working with and what version?

Reactions: Ernesto Kovacs
May 7, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your IDE drive and it's age? You sure it isn't damaged or defective? Make and model of your adapter used for powering and data transfer on the disk? A link to said adapter would hep us two fold. What OS are you working with and what version?

Hello there!
This is the adapter : https://www.bol.com/nl/p/sata-ide-2...021605919?referrer=socialshare_pdp_androidapp

I bought it about two days ago.
And I'm working on Windows 10

So I have my old ide hard drive with some files on that I wanted to transfer to my desktop.

It's a 3.5 inch so I connected it to the adapter and put extra power on it but it won't show up anywhere.
The harddrive starts up, starts spinning but nothing shows up. Anybody an idea?
IDE drives have mode selectors(Pins) for Auto, Master and Slave. Most of the time they are set as master or slave but as external they usually works best as set to Auto. Try all 3 mode just in case.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
There will be a physical jumper next to the IDE connector. Usually an array of 10 pins and a two-pin jumper (for more recent drives). Typically cable select (auto) is empty, but not always. The drive should have a diagram on it for where to put it.

If you don't have a jumper and need one, it is just a simple piece of wire in there, so you can use anything conductive to bridge two pins.

Solution
May 7, 2021

Do you mean this?
View: https://imgur.com/a/fLkxgfk

Sorry I'm really kind of a noob with this

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Maybe try a bootable linux distribution and mount it that way. Last time I tried to use Windows 10 to extract files off an IDE drive I ran into issues.

That last time I still had an old Athlon XP 2500 laying around that was able to do the job.

May 7, 2021
Maybe try a bootable linux distribution and mount it that way. Last time I tried to use Windows 10 to extract files off an IDE drive I ran into issues.

That last time I still had an old Athlon XP 2500 laying around that was able to do the job.
I don't have a Linux machine but I'll try it soon thanks mate

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You can run Linux on any machine. A bootable version of Linux would be on something like a USB drive. You boot directly from that and have a fully functional OS without doing anything to your Windows installation.

Linux has the advantage that you could get support for more file formats and tools then Windows offers.

Last edited:
May 7, 2021
You can run Linux on any machine. A bootable version of Linux would be on something like a USB drive. You boot directly from that and have a fully functional OS without doing anything to your Windows installation.

Linux has the advantage that you could get support for my file formats and tools then Windows offers.
Alright I have a bootable linux USB drive what do i do now?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, that is a loaded question. Depending on if you went for a GUI Linux, either Gnome or KDE, or a command line Linux, lots of different ways.

Key here would be the mount command. Any drives you want to mount you should be able to, then it would just be a matter of file transfer, again, depending on the Linux version, lots of ways again to do that. Command line would be a bit tedious, so I think a GUI would be worth it here.