Michael Lauderback

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014
I installed Windows XP to a new computer with SATA drives. In order to do so, I changed the hard drive settings in BIOS to IDE instead of AHCI. My question is, can I install SATA AHCI drivers inside of windows xp and then reset the hard drive settings in BIOS back to normal? What would I have to do in order for windows xp to boot with the SATA hard drive mode in BIOS? Thanks.

Solution
Yes, in the device manager.

I had issues with the registry entries as well. They were not in the location they were supposed to be. But I was able to "browse" around and find them. I just realized I did this on win7, but XP should be similar? I'm thinking that because it's XP you'll have to use the "raid" adapter settings down at the bottom.

4745454b

Titan
There are tons of sites and threads about this. A simple search would have told you all you needed to know. This is the site I used when I did this.

http://tweaks.com/windows/44119/improve-sata-hard-disk-performance-convert-from-ide-to-ahci/

Michael Lauderback

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014

I don't have msahci under that location in regedit. I didn't slipstream the AHCI drivers in with xp. Perhaps I should have worded the question a bit differently. Is there any way to install AHCI drivers inside of windows xp?

4745454b

Titan
Yes, in the device manager.

I had issues with the registry entries as well. They were not in the location they were supposed to be. But I was able to "browse" around and find them. I just realized I did this on win7, but XP should be similar? I'm thinking that because it's XP you'll have to use the "raid" adapter settings down at the bottom.

Solution