Question Ideal Monitor Size for Current Setup

theflyingjapman

Prominent
Mar 24, 2022
Hi all. I would like to ask recommendation and advise for monitor size to purchase. I cannot attach the diagram I made with my current table setup so let me list it here.

Table: IKEA Utespelare 160cm x 80cm (link)
Current Monitor: ASUS VX239H 23" AH-IPS
GPU: Kuroshio Geforce GTX 1050Ti

My current distance from chair to monitor is 50cm. I would like to know if 32 inch is too big or will cause eye strain? What is the maximum ideal size for the table dimension and distance I mentioned?
Thank you.

1. What Is Your Country Of Origin? Japan
  2. What do you plan to do with this monitor? Light games (DOTA 2, Fortnite no AAA titles) daily surfing/youtube)edit
  3. What resolution and screen size do you want? Nothing in specific as long as it is not blurry; not aiming for 4K
  4. What refresh rate do you want? (ex. 60 hz , 70 hz.) 60Hz, if can go higher is okay
  5. How much are you looking to spend? USD320/JPY40000
  6. Brands Preferred (ex. Samsung, Acer, Asus, AOC, HP, Viewsonic, etc. ) Dell? Asus? BenQ? nothing particular
  7. Brands Not Preferred (state reason why) brands that have lots of negative reviews?
  8. Are You Buying More Than One Monitor? No
  9. How Many Displays Can Your GPU Support Maximum? And what GPU and driver version are you using if applicable? GTX1050Ti 511.79
  10. What Port Do You Want To Connect To (ex. DVI-D, HDMI, etc). HDMI
  11. Is This Monitor A Primary Display Or A Secondary Display? Primary
  12. Is This A Secondary Display For A Laptop? No

I sit 70cm from the tip of my nose to my screen. I have/had a 32" TV at home, and grabbed a 27" monitor from work to test both. I decided 32" required too much eye/head movement so I bought a 27" monitor. I do still use my Asus VS239H-P as my secondary monitor.

I would encourage you to do a side-by-side like I did (if you can). Be forewarned that, coming from a 23" monitor, both options will look large initially.

I'd say that 27" sits in the grey area for resolution, with 1080p being acceptable for some, but 1440p being acceptable for all. At 32", you'll want 1440p.

Last edited:
Reactions: theflyingjapman

theflyingjapman

Prominent
Mar 24, 2022
Gonna be hard for a side-by-side comparison as I need to sell this 23inch first. But I'll take your advice and go for 27 inch. I tried to visualize a 32 inch monitor using tape measure and indeed it is quite big or too close.