Identical dual monitors, one will display in native resolution, other will not.

Kniightisa

Reputable
May 1, 2015
Hi, so I'm having an issue with my dual monitor setup. They are the exact same model of dell monitors, one is hooked up via vga cable, and the other is connected via a dvi to display-port adapter cable.

The one using a display-port adapter is displaying in native resolution (1680x1050@60Hz). The other will only display in 1600x1200. Being that they are the same monitor and one of them is displaying correctly, I assume the driver is up to date. It's very confusing that though they are identical, one is working and the other isn't. Any ideas?

Solution
It's probably a limitation of the analog (VGA) input. The monitor needs to be fed a digital signal (DVI, HDMI, or DisplayPort) like the other monitor is getting.

Either that or your GPU doesn't have enough VRAM to supply 1680 x 1050 to two displays simultaneously.
It's probably a limitation of the analog (VGA) input. The monitor needs to be fed a digital signal (DVI, HDMI, or DisplayPort) like the other monitor is getting.

Either that or your GPU doesn't have enough VRAM to supply 1680 x 1050 to two displays simultaneously.

Solution