Question Idle at 90 Celsius

Zephis

Reputable
May 6, 2017
Hi guys so as you read the title my CPU idles around 90 to even 100 Celsius. It is for sure celsius not Fahrenheit.

So I've had pretty much all my specs since 2017 including the fan and the processor. I think I made a mistake buying and using the fan that I have because I've read a post where someone has the same fan and the same intel processor but their temperature is still normal at idling.

This is kind of my first time checking out my CPU temperature, and im kinda playing minecraft rn with 90+ Celsius temp and max is hitting 100 but the game is still running fine. I don't really know what to do but I just bought a Corsair iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT and now I'm waiting for it to arrive. I feel like I kinda killed my cpu, tell me what you think.

SPECS:
i7-7700k
gtx 1070 evga
msi z270 sli plus
EVGA 600 B1, 80+ Bronze 600W

CPU cooling fan - https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-...4660&refinements=p_89:Thermaltake&s=pc&sr=1-6

Zephis

Reputable
May 6, 2017
90C at idle points almost certainly to a misinstalled cooler.
Well you see one corner of the fan is a little loose but all other three are tight and it barely moves and it's contacting fine or so I think I just checked, also fan is running. It looks like it's installed okay, it is like an 11 dollar cooler though and i've had it for years. I don't really know PCs that well so maybe that little loose end does make a difference, but the fan itself is snug and pretty fit.

Zephis

Reputable
May 6, 2017
Ideally, you take the fan thing off, clean off all the paste on both faces, apply new thermal paste, and reattach the cooler.

I'm assuming you do not have any thermal paste laying around?
If not, then see if you can latch in that one last pushpin.

I have TG7 thermal grease by thermaltake, bought it from best buy yesterday, i removed all paste on the fan and cpu yesterday and applied a pea size of the grease/paste stuff and put the fan on. The three corners are super snug and the one is like a super small fraction loose to where I cant even move the fan physically up or down. I just don't see how it could heat up that badly.

USAFRet

Titan
I have TG7 thermal grease by thermaltake, bought it from best buy yesterday, i removed all paste on the fan and cpu yesterday and applied a pea size of the grease/paste stuff and put the fan on. The three corners are super snug and the one is like a super small fraction loose to where I cant even move the fan physically up or down. I just don't see how it could heat up that badly.
That one ever so slightly loose corner will do it.