Idle cpu temp way above normal limit

Jan 18, 2019
Just finished a new build, x470 aorus ultra gaming, 16 gigs ddr4-3200 frequency, ryzen 7 2700, nvidia RTX 2070 (the cpu cooler is the one from the box).
The problem is my cpu temps are way above the normal limit, 50-60 degrees in idle (all the components are stock, not overclocked).
Until now I've tried reinstalling the cooler, and reapplying thermal paste; reinstalling windows (and that brought up the idle temp up 10 degrees); tinkering with windows power plan, but the differences were minimal.
Bios is up to date, and I've enabled and disabled performance boost with no difference in temperature what so ever.
I would very much appreciate any kind of help
Thank you!

InfoSponge16

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
Is you cooler plugged in?

Is it plugged into the right location?

Be very careful about how you install the cooler and applying the paste. The CPU and cooler must be clean.

When installing the cooler, ensure you install the cooler mounting the mounts in a diagonal pattern, do not follow the circumference.

If they are the screw type, tighten them slowly and evenly. Not all the way down per corner before starting the next.

When installing the paste, there are several methods, I have my own method.

The pea method is the easiest method to get a good result.

Hope that helps!

Jan 18, 2019

The exact process that you are describing above, is the exact same method I've used; even mounting the mounts in a diagonal pattern and carefully screwing them.

InfoSponge16

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016

Are you sure the plug for the cooler is plugged into the CPU cooler connector on the mb? There is a specific one. Don't want to condescend but it is an easy mistake that can cause this type of problem.

Besides making sure every surface was properly cleaned before reassembly, I would ensure the fan settings are correct in the bios, and try tuning the cooling curves within the bios of the mother board.

Jan 18, 2019

This is the way it’s plugged...
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/Z1SyQ7J