Idle CPU Temperature 60C after motherboard replacement

Jun 30, 2018
Hi all,

I recently replaced/upgraded my motherboard (formerly GA-Z87X-HD3 now GA-Z97-D3H) on my hackintosh after it no longer booted. Now the CPU (Intel 4790k) is reading 60C within the Bios which seems way too high. When I loaded up the macOS (everything loaded fine), it was reading 80-98C, in hwmonitor (turned it off pretty much immediately to prevent any damage) On the last MB it was generally around 30-40C while idle, and the only things have changed are motherboard model and added EVGA 1060 6gb-ssc video card. I have a corsair H80i cooler on the CPU.

I have checked the cooler is seated correctly once, but I will check it again next. I will also optimise the airflow of the case (though as I said, previously was idling much cooler, with this current airflow).
I will also try to install the stock heat sink to see where the readings are at and to see if it is the cooler that has stopped working. I loaded optimised defaults within the bios and changed a couple of things to make the hackintosh work within the bios, but is there anything within the bios that might be causing it to run hotter on this board?

Is there anything else I should look out for/test?

I don't think the BIOS is misreading the temps.
Touch the radiator when you power on the system and see if it gets warm. Even though you might have installed the cooler properly, the water pump might not be working or the power cable is not seated properly.
You could hear the pump by moving your ear close to it.
Did you get the motherboard brand new? if you did not then reset the CMOS.

Jun 30, 2018
It was a refurbished motherboard I believe. I will try to reset the CMOS. I was 90% sure that I heard the pump last time it was on, but will check it again next time I turn it on Monday. I'll let you know the results. Thanks for your help

MarkD_1205

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
Hey, OP: I have a similar problem. I began having problems with my 4790k on a Gigabyte z87x-ud3h (which made a perfectly adequate hackintosh, I might add), so I replaced the Gigabyte with an MSI z97 PCMate 7850 (which can also do the hackintosh thing). While loading/running Windows 7, however, the MSI board reports considerable CPU heat increases, compared to Windows 10 where it behaves normally (45 vs. 31 degrees). Am having trouble figuring out how this occurs and what the difference is (or if I've overlooked some setting somewhere in the BIOS). Am using an Enermax ETS-T40-TB cooler...

Jun 30, 2018
So it turns out the very subtle change in layout of the new motherboard meant the radiator got in the way of the cooling plate or the rigidity of the hose meant there wasn't full contact between the plate and the CPU. Changed the layout of the case and now I'm back down to 30C idle temp. Kind of what I figured was happening but I took the opportunity to optimise the airflow so cooling is good right now. Have a few other problems but I'll save them for another more relevant post.

Very strange that the CPU temperature is registering differently between W7 and W10....

MarkD_1205

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
Glad you isolated and addressed the issue and it's now resolved. I use an air cooler and am still mystified by this. Not only am I seeing higher temperatures on Windows 7 (which I loaded yesterday on a secondary ssd on this rig) but when I first turned on the pc after installing this board and attempting to load W7, it burned up/melted the SATA attachment to my data drive. Took the data drive with it. Somehow, the power supply is still working. This no longer happens after a month with this MSI board. After years of building systems, I've never seen anything like it; never had this problem with any build. Only explanation I can think of is the board...