Question Idle temps are high as gaming temps, 70-80c

Jun 10, 2023
So my nzxt x72 logo died about 4 months ago, ok no problem all cosmetic I can live without it, but than I noticed about a month after the temps for idle are getting pretty high, I have a 5800x3d so I know that idle temps sits aorund 40-50c. But my idle temps were about 60-70c, so I took the pump off, put some fresh thermal paste and gently shook the pump few times just incase the pump was stuck in position (as recommended to me by nzxt support) that worked for about a month. Slowly since than the aio now idles at 70-80c on idle, but the weird part is when I game the aio doesn't ramp up, stays around 80c range, after trying to figure it out I've narrowed it down to me watching anything video related, especially youtube. When I watch any videos my cpu temps spike and stay around 70-80c, browsing it hovers around 60-70c, gaming loads around 80c, anybody know what wrongs? Most likely a software issue, maybe hardware where a pin connector isn't properly seated. I'm thinking maybe I just RMA it since I still have it under warranty.

PC specs:
CPU: ryzen 5800x3d
MOBO: x570 taichi
GPU:7900xtx Aorus
Cooler: NZXT x72 kraken
RAM: 32GB trident z
PSU: EVGA G5 850W gold
Case fans:6x QL corsair fans
Case: Lian li o11 dynamic

Lutfij

Titan
So my nzxt x72 logo died about 4 months ago,
Are you sure your AIO's pump didn't die or isn't dying or clogged up?

I'd contact NZXT and/or your seller and bring them in on the issue. Lian-Li are the other brand to come under scrutiny regarding their AIO's being clogged and they identified it to a soldering flux being left inside the radiator channels and it caused the coolant to break down and clog the fins/channels in the cooling block.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2947362

So my nzxt x72 logo died about 4 months ago, ok no problem all cosmetic I can live without it, but than I noticed about a month after the temps for idle are getting pretty high, I have a 5800x3d so I know that idle temps sits aorund 40-50c. But my idle temps were about 60-70c, so I took the pump off, put some fresh thermal paste and gently shook the pump few times just incase the pump was stuck in position (as recommended to me by nzxt support) that worked for about a month. Slowly since than the aio now idles at 70-80c on idle, but the weird part is when I game the aio doesn't ramp up, stays around 80c range, after trying to figure it out I've narrowed it down to me watching anything video related, especially youtube. When I watch any videos my cpu temps spike and stay around 70-80c, browsing it hovers around 60-70c, gaming loads around 80c, anybody know what wrongs? Most likely a software issue, maybe hardware where a pin connector isn't properly seated. I'm thinking maybe I just RMA it since I still have it under warranty.

PC specs:
CPU: ryzen 5800x3d
MOBO: x570 taichi
GPU:7900xtx Aorus
Cooler: NZXT x72 kraken
RAM: 32GB trident z
PSU: EVGA G5 850W gold
Case fans:6x QL corsair fans
Case: Lian li o11 dynamic
It sound like the AIO needs looking at.

have a look in task manager to see what CPU activity is going on while the system is sitting at desktop for a couple of mins, if its really high look at what is causing it or make sure it 's not malware.

You cold try and check in your bios to see if the case fans and CPU are not on silent mode or if you have software that's set to keep system quiet or maybe even bugging out and keeping the pump, radiator fans and system fans on silent mode ?

If not send it back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 10, 2023
I checked the bios, all standard settings, I checked task manager and 5% usage on idle, what I did notice though was when I check HWmonitor my CPU is idling at max clock speed of 4.5GHz at least core 0 is maxed and the other cores jump around. Got any ideas where to go to fix this? I don't use ryzen master, or haven't in a long time, is the new amd adrenaline update that happened over the past month been messing with the cpu clocks? Not sure at this point, leaning towards a hardware issue but the high clock speeds at idle are pretty suspicions as well, windows power settings are set to balanced.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2947362

I checked the bios, all standard settings, I checked task manager and 5% usage on idle, what I did notice though was when I check HWmonitor my CPU is idling at max clock speed of 4.5GHz at least core 0 is maxed and the other cores jump around. Got any ideas where to go to fix this? I don't use ryzen master, or haven't in a long time, is the new amd adrenaline update that happened over the past month been messing with the cpu clocks? Not sure at this point, leaning towards a hardware issue but the high clock speeds at idle are pretty suspicions as well, windows power settings are set to balanced.
now it's funny you ask that because I some err?? ummm ?? moments with CPU when I installed ryzen master just to have a look and a little play then uninstalled it but things never seem to be like they where and due to me being lazy and not having any real important use for my PC rather than trying to work it out I just format my PC and installed from USB lol

so I don't use any of the motherboard utility's or software like Ryzen master I don't even use PBO I have manually set it to disabled in the BIOS

With adrenaline and Ryzen master installed even after uninstalling even my GFX card wouldn't be the same temps

Why I don't know? Couldn't be bothered to try and find out so it was easier and much quicker just to reinstall the O/S and stop playing around with the software.

It doesn't take long at all to reinstall.
I just format my PC and installed from USB

As my new saying goes lol quite poetic to lmfao

Last edited by a moderator: