Question IDrive functionality vs OneDrive ?

Balic Blackthorn

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
So, OneDrive has been giving me issues lately and I'm kind of tired of trying to fix them. So I'm thinking of switching to IDrive. I have a question about it's functionality though.

One feature of OneDrive I really like is it's "Free Up Space" options for the OneDrive folder(s). This is where you can tell it to essentially delete all the files in those folders, but it keeps a "pointer" of sorts to those files in the cloud. They still show up in the folders just as if they were actually being stored on your PC, and if you go to open/copy/etc any of the files, it downloads the file from the cloud at that point.

The reason I'm looking to switch from OneDrive is because, for reasons unknown, that functionality has stopped working. And I've tried several fixes to no avail.

So, does IDrive happen to work the same way as OneDrive regarding that functionality?

Many thanks.

Ralston18

Titan
I am not sure about the described functionality.

If a file is deleted it will be (should be) gone.

Perhaps not immediately if the file is marked for deletion but remains in "recycle bin" or some such location for 30 days. Just in case the file admin needs to undo the deletion.

The purpose of deleting a file is to get rid of it - not have the file put elsewhere in the cloud with some pointers to find the file again.

Two suggestions:

1) Read the following link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...onedrive-21fe345a-e488-4fa7-932b-f053c1bebe8a

Look for other similar links if necessary to ensure that your understanding of what is (or has been) happening is correct.

2) Described the issues in more detail and provide more information about what fixes were atttempted.

Objective simply being understand more about the overall problem(s) being encounted with One Drive.

Balic Blackthorn

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
I may be describing the functionality poorly.

With OneDrive, there is a folder on your computer, where files are stored locally, and that same folder (or folders, if you create sub folders under the main one) on the cloud.

When you use the free up space option, the files are not deleted from the cloud. What happens is that the files are effectively deleted from your local folder and replaced with pointers to those files. So, if I used Free Up Space, testfile.exe would still show up in the same place on my local drive, but with an icon next to it that indicates it isn't ACTUALLY on my local drive anymore. If I double click on it to open the file, OneDrive downloads the file from the cloud again and that icon goes away.

I'm looking for a program that offers that same functionality, and was wondering specifically if IDrive does, if anyone here is familiar with that program.

Ralston18

Titan
No apologies necessary.

You were asking about "apps" and chose the applicable category.

The requirements being a bit more specific with respect to storage per se - at least as I viewed it.

Hopefully there will be other ideas and suggestions via those who work with storage problems and requirements.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
One feature of OneDrive I really like is its "Free Up Space" options for the OneDrive folder(s). This is where you can tell it to essentially delete all the files in those folders, but it keeps a "pointer" of sorts to those files in the cloud. They still show up in the folders just as if they were actually being stored on your PC, and if you go to open/copy/etc any of the files, it downloads the file from the cloud at that point.
Is this what you are referring to - OneDrive Files On-Demand?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-0e6860d3-d9f3-4971-b321-7092438fb38e

AFAIK Files On-Demand must be turned on for ‘free up space’ to work.

Richj444

Commendable
May 25, 2022
So, OneDrive has been giving me issues lately and I'm kind of tired of trying to fix them. So I'm thinking of switching to IDrive. I have a question about it's functionality though.

One feature of OneDrive I really like is it's "Free Up Space" options for the OneDrive folder(s). This is where you can tell it to essentially delete all the files in those folders, but it keeps a "pointer" of sorts to those files in the cloud. They still show up in the folders just as if they were actually being stored on your PC, and if you go to open/copy/etc any of the files, it downloads the file from the cloud at that point.

The reason I'm looking to switch from OD is because, for reasons unknown, that functionality has stopped working. And I've tried several fixes to no avail.

So, does IDrive happen to work the same way as OneDrive regarding that functionality?

Many thanks.
As far as I know IDrive does not have an equivalent function, at least not in the consumer version.