IE Drops Below 30% Market Share for First Time in 15 Years

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Typical MS. First they kill the competition (Netscape) by giving IE away. Then they let the product languish and become mediocre at best. Unfortunately for them, and fortunately for us, others stepped in and also provided a free product, but had the initiative and drive to improve it.

Another way MS destroys products is by buying them (like MS Golf).

phate

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]marksatterfield[/nom]There are a number of sites that do not render correctly on Chrome... unfortunately. So using IE (or Firefox) is a "must" to use those sites. Chrome still has a way to go.http://www.marksatterfield.com[/citation]

Correction: there are a number of sites that are not coded correctly and don't adhere to web standards.

Problem is:

-hard to customized: - hard to control add-on (compared to firefox), easy to get drive by installation (virus)
-Unsecured: It is a security hole by itself(even worse with java / flash with virus exploite)
- slow: even with no add on it takes a long time to get on google (witch is a basic page)
- Always ask too many stupid question (disable add on, be master browser ect...)
- a lot of useless features (blog add on, search engine add on)

jsheridan

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
So when IE becomes the underdog compared to a Chrome conglomerate will people start using it again and say, "I like using IE because I like being different and having a choice", just like they do with the other browsers now?
If you ask people why they like FireFox better they'll say, "It renders pages quicker than IE", which really means they don't know why they like it better their just following a crowd......IE 10 better be good if MS wants to save the dwindling amount of fans it has left.....

tmk221

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
[citation][nom]whimseh[/nom]Can't believe it was even near 30% in the first place. Who uses IE? Only old people and the technologically impaired.[/citation]

I couldn't agree more but I have to use IE in my office... all apps and services are optimized for IE and it is also a company's policy breach to install any other web browser. I guess that is why IE has so much user. 15% from office PCs and 15% from computer illiteracy :)

morstern

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
Though I only use IE for website display testing, I don't really have any complaints on IE8 and IE9. IE7 and below have to many issues with CSS to bother with. So in a way I am happy to see the higher chrome and firefox views because I do not make separate CSS files for the older IE browsers. I simply display an upgrade or change browser notice when IE7 or lower is detected.

Having a litte bit of stock in MS makes me wish Ballmer would manage better though. Lot of missed boats under his stay so far. I think he is a star product pusher... but not a visionary to head a company that requires a lead in innovation. Anyhow... off topic.

Well done to the better standards Browsers.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]IE has come a long way, but I think it's a case of "damage done" after Microsoft failed to make any significant improvements for the better part of a decade, and allowed major security problems to go unaddressed for just as long.The IE brand is just irreparably tarnished.[/citation]
For a lot of folks IE is simply irrevocably irrelevant.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
"Last weekend, IE dropped for the first time on StatCounter's charts and, according to my own personal records, is for the first time in 15 years below 30 percent market share"

Good God, how did this ever get written, and how did it pass editing? What an awkward sentence. Please, at least make an effort.

Last weekend Stat Counter showed Internet Explorer below 30% market share. According to my personal records, the last time this happened was 15+ years ago.

This took me all of 18 seconds to create. Really, just make an effort.

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]WhoComesUpWithThisCrap[/nom]And if you look at other data, it's still showing around 50%http://www.techspot.com/news/46859 [...] r-ie7.html[/citation]
As of January 2011. Did you actually read the story and look at the graphs?

On some frigging things I have to use IE (Active X), and lately I've been migrating from Chrome to FireFox due to Chrome's 'Sleep Bug' & 'Flash Bug'. So Chrome also better get off their 'rear' and fix their damn bugs!

marksatterfield

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
[citation][nom]jaquith[/nom]On some frigging things I have to use IE (Active X), and lately I've been migrating from Chrome to FireFox due to Chrome's 'Sleep Bug' & 'Flash Bug'. So Chrome also better get off their 'rear' and fix their damn bugs![/citation]

I've noticed the "sleep bug" in both Chrome & Firefox, but IE is okay. What I have to do (and remember to do before walking away from my computer) is to close Chrome/Firefox before the computer is allowed to sleep. Yes, I agree, this is unreasonable. No issues with IE 64, may be issues with IE 32. Have you discovered other workarounds?

http://www.marksatterfield.com

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
[citation][nom]spookyman[/nom]Well maybe if it didn't suck so much more people would use IE.[/citation]

So many bad memories with IE. The best thing I did during my 23 years of life is switching to chrome & Firefox. Die IE, DIE

Status
Not open for further replies.