IE Easily Beats Chrome, Firefox Security, Says Microsoft

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrecio

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]Like FF7 and IE9 having issues logging into Toms? When I click "sign in" it takes me to the page to register a new account[/citation]

The sign in page is actually a popup, I had the same problem until I turned off noscript and adblock and the popup showed up. I love FF and noscript but you have to keep in mind it will block even legitimate scripts from running as well as the bad.

G

Yeah, and Linux is more secure than Windows.

What's that you say? Linux has virii too, they just don't have enough marketshare to be targed? Here, have an excellent article on the subject?

http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/index.php?page=virus

...and before anybody cites so-called Android viruses, please note that they're not really viruses. They come from the app store, they explain to you ahead of time everything they're going to have access to. If you're dumb enough to install a fart soundboard that gets access to your contacts, text messages, and the ability to make phone calls, then that's your fault, not Linux security's fault.

PS: 90% of the world's web servers run Linux, I think that's plenty of "motivation" for hackers.

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]branden[/nom]don't forget these unrelated news headlines:"Chrome easily beats IE and FF security, says Google""FF easily beats IE and Chrome security, says Mozilla""GM better than Ford, says GM""Ford better than GM, says Ford""Pakistan sucks, says India""India sucks, says Pakistan"[/citation]
"Intel HD Graphic better than GeForce & Radeon, says Intel"

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]Darkit[/nom]The world seems to have forgotten opera's existence. never see it grouped with ff ie and chrome anymore. damn shame because its a great browser and looks beautifully in windows 7 with a few tweaks.[/citation]
Thats coz it sucks, and only went free relatively recently when all the others had been free for years. Besides, what kind of a stupid name is Opera? They aren't doing themselves any favors. If they called it "Lightning" or "Super fastest browser" I bet their marketshare would increase, but no, they stick to 'Opera' and cry when everyone else uses better browsers from other companies.

AMD X6850

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
That's fine with me.
It's a good thing, cos the majority of the IE's users are people that are less adept at technology (not saying everyone). So they will benefit most from something like this.

I reckon I'll be fine with Firefox =)

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Internet Explorer 9
Step 1: Turn your pop-up blocker up to High. (No wonder you get pop-ups!)
Step 2: On the privacy tab, move the slider to Medium-High.
Step 3: Use your hosts file to block crap for ANYTHING that accesses the net
http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/
Step 4: Don't click on crap. Pretty obvious really.

Done. No need for fancy browsers

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
MSFT at least has download links to all, so its easy to see for yourself... now if they bundled all 3 into Windows that would be saying something

dentso

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
This type or review gives free publicity to Microsoft, in that regards, they are smarter. Why isn't anyone running a text browser for MS-DOS which should be the most secure browser in the world? :p

v_parthi

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
FF and Chrome are almost identical in my Mac! Oh wait, was that the question? I dumped Windows long ago, together with viruses, spywares, scanners, and IE.

v_parthi

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
[citation][nom]imous[/nom]Opera beats all of them in security, there's no doubt about it.[/citation]

Probably, but we are talking about web browsers that show most of the web pages correctly!

billcat479

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
That has to be a stand up joke fest if Microsoft beleves they are more secure. The thing is I can never trust anything they say because they have lied for so long I think even they are falling for their own lies by now.
I have been a happy and somewhat lazy user for FF for a real long time. Maybe the plug-ins can be poor but there is a lot of them that are good as well and it's one of the high marks for using it. I let anti-virus programs handle the rest and haven't had any sucsessful attacks yet (that I know of ..lol) and I like Google as much as I like Microsuck so I am sticking with Firefox. It's not that hard to use. In fact it's very easy. I'm horrible now at computer software, used to be pretty good but 4 tons of moving steel took that ability away so if I can work with it anyone can.
The worst with IE is (I would guess) that it also the favorite target of hackers because there is no worse in the world than Microsuck and if I was a hacker I'd be after them on general purpose. What the heck, they are the evil in the computer world, what better reason to hack at them. And when I set up new computers I do see a lot of notified attacks while using IE for the short time downloading new stuff for a computer and see more attacks in this short time than the long time use of Firefox.
Anyway, make a long post just a bit longer, I just like FF and have no reason to switch to another browser. It's fast enough with a good high speed connection. I've tried Google and wasn't overly impressed with it and I really hope people give them the support they need and earned for a open browser because I really would not like a world where IE or another money munching corp is the only ones in town. That is reason enough right there to stick with FF. The other 2 are very money dirty and are set up more for them than for you or me while FF has fought the good fight kind of thing and that is also another reason to support them.
Because if they quit it won't be long until you wish they were there but leaving is easy, coming back is next to impossible in the computer world.

Status
Not open for further replies.