IE8, Firefox and Safari Hacked to Bits at Pwn2Own

Status
Not open for further replies.

amabhy

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
Give people money and prizes and anything can be hacked. I'm surprised tech companies don't hire professional hackers (or crackers, as the good guys like to be called) to find holes so they can fix em early.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]bison88[/nom]So does that mean Opera 10 users are safe?[/citation]
Uh, sadly no. While I use Opera myself, it more than likely means they didn't waste time hacking a web browser only 1.5% of us use.

dgingeri

Distinguished
yet all this can be avoided by avoiding either untrusted sites or allowing scripting on sites you don't trust but want to visit. I'm good with that. Firefox with Noscript, AdBlock plus, and flash blocker is good for me. Couple that with Spybot's immunize function and it's almost invulnerable. No viruses, trojans, or other malware for over 7 years now. (Not counting BitDefender's little false positive that brought my system down on Saturday. That was an inside job and a malfunction.)

dgingeri

Distinguished
[citation][nom]war2k9[/nom]There is no such thing as 100% safe from hacks.[/citation]

There are 2 ways to prevent hacking 100%: not having your computer hooked to the internet in any way, or simply not using a computer.

masop

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
[citation][nom]war2k9[/nom]There is no such thing as 100% safe from hacks.[/citation]

Remove network cable and/or phone cable from computer, disable lan card, disable wireless card and modem port if applicable. Remote hack is not possible at that point, but the computer would be releatively worthless, as most computers in the world have some type of connectivity to the internet. Oh well, what can you do? Vulnerabilities are a side effect of life itself; especially when technology is involved. :)

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]There are 2 ways to prevent hacking 100%: not having your computer hooked to the internet in any way, or simply not using a computer.[/citation]

And what happens when someone goes "The Net" on you?(Old Sandra Bullock movie)

With how everything is going digital nowadays, there is no solid way to be 100% safe from the right hacker, who is 100% determined to mess your life up. Its just a matter of whether you are fortunate enough to not be noticed and/or not be a desirable enough target to them. And desirable, for the record, can mean almost anything.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]amabhy[/nom]Give people money and prizes and anything can be hacked. I'm surprised tech companies don't hire professional hackers (or crackers, as the good guys like to be called) to find holes so they can fix em early.[/citation]
they do

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
[citation][nom]JmeNdriks[/nom]What about Google Chrome?[/citation]

No one attempted to hack Google Chrome (according to arstechnica.com). Chrome was patched for a series of critical vulnerabilities a few days before Pwn2Own. I personally don't put my entire believe in coincidences, and this one is somewhat funny ...

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

Confiker uses autorun.inf and jumpdrives. No network needed. If one of these sits dormant on your PC, then the one day you hook up, snap.

wolfseeker2828

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
[citation][nom]hotchrisbfries[/nom]"I could use it to do the ASLR bypass,""I started with a bypass for ALSR"What???????[/citation]

He was looking through his LOGS so he could FIND the ASLR bypass, silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.