IE9 Now Auto-Updates; Chrome 16 Gets Cloud Printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I'm extremely happy that Microsoft has put this in place for Windows XP users. Nobody should be running IE6 anymore unless absolutely necessary for those legacy business apps. I'm not as sure about Win7 users being forced from IE8 to IE9. In Windows 7, IE8 is fairly secure with auto updates, particularly with protected mode. There are still many websites that don't render correctly under IE9, and while compatibility mode helps there are still some issues.

I do think IE9 is vastly superior to IE8, especially speed-wise, but I'm not sure everyone should be forced to use it yet.

thrasher32

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
[citation][nom]bourgeoisdude[/nom]I'm extremely happy that Microsoft has put this in place for Windows XP users. Nobody should be running IE6 anymore unless absolutely necessary for those legacy business apps. I'm not as sure about Win7 users being forced from IE8 to IE9. In Windows 7, IE8 is fairly secure with auto updates, particularly with protected mode. There are still many websites that don't render correctly under IE9, and while compatibility mode helps there are still some issues.I do think IE9 is vastly superior to IE8, especially speed-wise, but I'm not sure everyone should be forced to use it yet.[/citation]

Is this a test? IE9 doesn't run on Windows XP.

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
IE9 is just fine browser, everything renders propertly and it supports web standards. Firefox is too slow and bloated and Chrome sucks ass as far as javascript execution goes. As developer I find IE9 the browser ever.

G

Correct me if I am wrong but the newest Microsoft web browser that Windows XP users can use is IE8. That basically means that the only way that Microsoft is going to get anything out of this silent update feature is migrating Windows 7 users to IE10 when it comes out at some point in 2012.

Does anybody know if IE10 is going to have a rapid release cycle like Chrome and Firefox? If not, then it will, like IE9, quickly become redundant shortly after it's release.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I don't quite trust google, IE is a bit slow and lacks addons (like an adblocker), and chrome is in general pretty good - addons, fast enough, and as long as you disable addon compatibility checking you'll be fine (download the compatibility reporter).

AMD X6850

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
IE 9 is the first decent browser version in recent times that Microsoft has put out.
Everything renders similarly to its counterparts (Firefox, Chrome, Opera), well enough so that it doesn't require its own CSS Stylesheet to do so.

Unfortunately, the sad news is that XP users won't be able to get IE9 =.=

thrasher32

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]Do you know what MS? F... you! Why! Because your crappy non-standard compliant browser has created a myriad of developers who have created amazing amount of web sites that do not work properly with anything above IE 6. Yes, some of these sites are of government agencies and banks designed for IE and they do not work properly on any other browser than IE. They are even not so compatible with newer versions of IE like version 8/9.That's why I hate Microsoft and I don't want to see it take over more markets. That's why nobody should use IE. Everybody should prefer open source standards compliant web browsers or they are screwing themselves in the long term.[/citation]

*facepalm* why can't the developers update their code to make it work right? I mean that IS their job, right? It's what I do, and it's not all that hard to be perfectly honest.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
The debate between Chrome and Firefox is pretty meaningless.

Why? Because there are still people using... Internet Exploder 6, 7 and 8 out there.

If anything we should all be (us Firefox and Chrome users) helping switch browsers for those poor souls rather than having a debate between the relatively small diferences between Firefox and Chrome (in comparison to Chrome/Firefox vs. IE 6,7,8)

cookiecrusher

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
If you aren't using FF or Chrome and are using IE, shame shame. IE 9 stinks. There are settings they removed that prevent a simple pdf statement from loading from a financial institution. How do I know it is IE and not the institution? Because they load fast in FF and Chrome.

Status
Not open for further replies.