If a CPU overclock fails

I'm currently experimenting with my 4690k overclock (I'm currently at 4.4Ghz @ 1.2v). I'm not sure whether I'm going to try and lower the voltage a bit on this overclock or try and raise the multiplier some more, it depends if I have to raise the voltage further and how much by. When a CPU overclock is unstable, it will bluescreen when I stress test it.

My question is, once it bluescreens, will I still be able to boot into the bios and knock the multiplier back down/raise the voltage? Or will I have to remove the CMOS battery so the BIOS reverts to it's default settings to get to the BIOS? People seem to disagree about this.

My motherboard is the Gigabyte Z97X-SLI.

Solution
Well there is another way, The jumper.
This may be located close to the CMOS battery itself though.

Many motherboards contain a jumper that can be used to clear CMOS settings if your BIOS is not accessible. This is particularly useful if the BIOS is password-protected and you don’t know the password.

The exact location of the jumper can be found in the motherboard’s (or computer’s) manual. You should consult the manual for more detailed instructions if you want to use the motherboard jumper.

However, the basic process is fairly similar on all computers. Flip the computer’s power switch to off to ensure it’s not receiving any power. Open the computer’s case and locate the jumper named something like CLEAR CMOS, CLEAR, CLR CMOS...

lukej92

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
I have failed an overclock before and the system would not boot, All you have to do is reset the CMOS.
This will set everything back to default settings but i believe you will have to set the time again and stuff i cant remember because it was quite long ago when i done it.
in short though if your overclock fails and will not boot then yes resetting the cmos will solve the problem.
unless you fry your cpu that is.
haha good luck.

Thanks for your reply, how do I reset the BIOS on my motherboard without removing the battery, as it is partially under my graphics card and is a bit of a pain to access.

lukej92

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
Well there is another way, The jumper.
This may be located close to the CMOS battery itself though.

Many motherboards contain a jumper that can be used to clear CMOS settings if your BIOS is not accessible. This is particularly useful if the BIOS is password-protected and you don’t know the password.

The exact location of the jumper can be found in the motherboard’s (or computer’s) manual. You should consult the manual for more detailed instructions if you want to use the motherboard jumper.

However, the basic process is fairly similar on all computers. Flip the computer’s power switch to off to ensure it’s not receiving any power. Open the computer’s case and locate the jumper named something like CLEAR CMOS, CLEAR, CLR CMOS, PASSWORD, or CLR PWD – it will often be near the CMOS battery mentioned below. Ensure you’re grounded so you don’t damage your motherboard with static electricity before touching it. Set the jumper to the “clear” position, power on your computer, turn it off again, set the jumper to the original position – and you’re done.

Solution

lukej92

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015

Yeah also, this.
But if that doesn't work then resetting the cmos/jumper will work.

Thank you, I did try to look for the jumper before but that was just a quick look so I knew, I'll have a look in the manual aswell, thanks for the info :)

Thanks for the info, I heard this too, wasn't sure if mine did this though, I don't plan to go that crazy with voltage to overheat it :p

If your overclock is extremely unstable, right before Windows load (first time load on CPU) it'll bluescreen because the cores require more voltage, if it's really bad it'll reset automatically. If voltage is so high that before the option to enter BIOS shows, the PC will shut down, meaning there is no time for the computer to react to your overclock- only way to reset it then would be to physically reset the CMOS, or some newer motherboards have a button on the motherboard also. A whie back when I was overclocking my FX CPU, I went ahead and dialed in 1.7V, the computer would boot but ran extremely hot, but even then I didn't completely fry my CPU, so unless you take it to the extreme, you will be OK.

Oh and to answer your question regarding bluescreen, yes it will boot like it normally would, and you can enter BIOS and lower some setting, but bluescreens are always too low voltage and too high multiplier, the key is balance.

So if I am just adjusting by +1 multiplier or - 0.1v at a time, it's unlikely that it'll become super unstable and not boot to BIOS at all? Although if I reach the "big jump" I need in voltage when I reach the "oc limit" it may be unstable enough not to boot and I'd have to reset the CMOS?

Okay, thank you for the help :)
What about the "BIOS Stressing"? As it makes the CPU run at full speed, under no load though, so that shouldn't crash should it?
Yeah, I won't be increasing the voltage any more, I just want to find how high I can go on this voltage, if it becomes unstable I'll put it back to 4.4Ghz.

TRENDING THREADS