Question If a motherboard says 10th gen 1200 socket will it support 11400? Does the description HAVE to say 10/11th gen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ncallstar

BANNED
Jun 7, 2022
It is entirely possible for a socket LGA 1200 motherboard to support 10th gen cpus, but not 11th gen. I have only observed this on region exclusive motherboards though.

You should check a motherboard's support webpage for supported cpus to be sure regardless.

So my case I got years ago has all these stand offs looks like for indifferent sizes. You think the mico atx will hit in here? And also I don’t need anything crazy right now just playing elder scrolls online but I have ddr4 ram sticks and a 3050 rn but might change it out for a cheaper card but still really good (any recommendations on that also?)

but I’m wondering if it’s a crazy difference between atx and matx since im not benchmarking or anything

Ncallstar

BANNED
Jun 7, 2022
Go to the manufacturer site and look for CPU support/compatibility. It will tell you both if it is supported as well as what BIOS revision you need to be on for said.

so you telling me that just because it says 1200 socket doesn’t mean all 1200 sockets fit in there? It HAS to say 10 or 11 gen? And 11400 is 11 gen right? It’s 1200 socket u saying it won’t fit?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So my case I got years ago has all these stand offs looks like for indifferent sizes. You think the micro atx will hit in here?
You can unscrew those standoffs, yes? If for some reason that's not possible, the lower M-ATX standoffs do make contact with ATX boards. So that would be no good.

but I’m wondering if it’s a crazy difference between atx and matx since im not benchmarking or anything
The differences in motherboards - besides size - is their features(set). Among PC components, it's one of the easiest to overspend on, as it requires the user to know what they will use/won't use. It's not just about boards with good VRM/VRM cooling.
It's kinda hard with all the possible combinations.
WiFi
dual lan
Bluetooth
How many SATA ports/M.2 slots
Digital POST code
number of PCI and PCIE slots for add-in devices
dual bios
2 or 4 dimms, and max memory capacity
usb ports
bios flashback
... and so on.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
so you telling me that just because it says 1200 socket doesn’t mean all 1200 sockets fit in there? It HAS to say 10 or 11 gen? And 11400 is 11 gen right? It’s 1200 socket u saying it won’t fit?

Fit isn't the whole equation to having the mobo CPU relationship operate. There have to be BIOS revisions, preferably manufacturer release and supported, that allow the proper instruction set for the motherboard to work with the CPU.

Ncallstar

BANNED
Jun 7, 2022
What is this mobo you have?
Make/model.
Asus z series rn but I was just diagnosing the faulty part in my old build I want to return for something cheaper funds are right. I also got a 3050 wanna return for something cheaper but decent. Currently parts I got new are 11400 750w Evga psu 32? Gb ddr4. I wanna keep the last three things and get a cheaper mobo all I’m doing is playing elder scrolls online so nothing crazy is needed. And not sure maybe a 2060 or something

ty now I’m curious about what was said about finding the right bios for a cpu?
I don't think you need to worry.
Looks like the bios needed is quite old.
It does not even show on the asus site.

Status
Not open for further replies.