If AMD goes bankrupt will INTEL have monopoly?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Just_An_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

If you think back to then you might remember that AMD and Intel weren't exactly on good terms even in those days. AMD may have been just a second source in those days but they were able to consistently produce chips that would in many cases drastically outperform the ones produced by Intel. There has always been some speculation that it was Intel's anger over AMD's chips consistently having better performance that caused them to abruptly rescind the x86 license just before releasing the 386 processors.

bfellow

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
Something just dawned on me, part of the blame needs to go to AMD fanboy's saying X2 5000+/6000+ have better price for their performance when they should already know buying it NOW AMD is selling it for a loss while buying it a year or 2 ago, they would have made some profit, but the price/performance would belong to Intel.

I remember the X2 6000+ was first sold at $450 in Feb 2007 to fit between E6600 and E6700 price range. Now we already know E6600 and 6000+ were trading blows but E6600 was over $100 cheaper. Afterwards, the X2's started its price fall just for market share and the 65nm K10 dual cores are basically canceled due to probable competiton from its own tri-cores.

So AMDers need to buy it high and forget the price/performance argument or else CPUs currently will always be sold at a loss.

Sad really. Think of all the nice technology they could have brought if only they would have worked together. Oh well.

Meh. It would be a good market for them. But how will they compete against the 45nms? Intels notebook chips have very nice power savings (much deeper than C1E or Speedstep for us desktop users). That and Centrino 2 (when it decides to come out) will have WiMAX which looks quite nice.

I remember that. I also remember before Core 2 the FX series was in the $1K. What I hate is how it shifts in terms of whats better. During the K8 days it was performance/watt. Now during Core 2/K10 its price/performance..... I mean what the crap? Can we stick to one standard and wee whats the better one to choose?

Amiga500

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007

Easy really.

Whats the point having a great CPU if you cannot actually get the stuff onto the screen?

AMD are gonna compete on the back of GPU performance, be that internal or external.

Amiga500

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007

Compare the 780G to both Intel and Nvidia offerings. :)

Next week sees the 780GX break cover... and it will trounce the opposition even more soundly.

AMD have everything to capture the mass-market (which is not high performance), decent processors along with excellent IGP and solid chipsets.

They are just making a balls of selling it.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
AMD is lacking one thing to capture the mass-market: manufacture capability. They have very decent lineups at very decent price, but they simply can't make enough of them, and sell them at a high margin price.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

That's probably why they want to separate the fab side from the development and marketing side. Intel's laid off some people in marketing recently, you'd think AMD would hire them. Intel's done a great job at marketing platforms. Spider isn't where the money is (neither is Skulltrail). Centrino is what the average person remembers when he shops for a notebook.

AMD has great mainstream solutions for notebooks. A 65 watt Phenom @ 1.6 with a 780G board works for more than just an HTPC. Yet, when I considered a notebook in September instead of another CPU, mobo and memory upgrade, the only notebooks that seemed like they would even play LOTRO at decent settings in my price range were all Nvidia.

AMD needs to hire fewer lawyers to go after Intel in civil suits and more marketing firms to make the average person ask Dell or HP if they have such and such by AMD.

Why would AMD go for Intel with civil suits? Marketing is that. Marketing. Its up to the company to market their products and make them look good and get them to sell.

This is the one area AMD has never done their best at.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

ThreadNecromancer.jpg

Glacier

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004
Well, I hope everyone has a ton of money stored away for their next PC. If AMD goes out, we will be paying through the roof for our next CPU!!