Question If anyone knows the name and function of this chip in Mobo then help a newbie out?

rustedmetal

Reputable
Sep 30, 2018
This mother board has no lights on whatsoever when i plug in the charger so i started measuring the voltage around the charger port and notice that this chip has no voltage in one of the four contacts. You guys thing this might be the culprit and should i just take it out or replace it? Thanks
i950JeA.jpg

It looks like rectifier but don’t quote me on that. What is the power brick output? Is it AC? Is it a laptop?
If you are there, check voltage on both sides of that white piece marked H12.
If you keep poking - chances of repair will be rolling south. Get it to someone who has a clue in electronics :)

Last edited:

rustedmetal

Reputable
Sep 30, 2018
It looks like rectifier but don’t quote me on that. What is the power brick output? Is it AC? Is it a laptop?
If you are there, check voltage on both sides of that white piece marked H12.
If you keep poking - chances of repair will be rolling south. Get it to someone who has a clue in electronics :)
19.5V for the brick-yes it's a laptop and an old one at that; Viao PCG-GRZ630. I already checked that resistor H12 or whatever it is and the voltage is fine. It's only that component in question which seems to suspicious hence no voltage on one of the contacts. I haven't measure that V on the upper right point because my meter doesn't fit, i'm going to have to somehow find a way to read it. But yeah, this is basically a laptop that i got for this purpose; to attempt to fix it and it was basically free so no need to fret. Thanks much

4 contact brick like that might be a rectifier but the model you mentioned has DC power adapter (AC-DC not AC-AC) so it should not be needed. It might be a coil pack. Might be something else.
Component level repairs are more complicated than just checking voltages everywhere and replacing stuff blindly. Look for boardview or schematics for your model.

rustedmetal

Reputable
Sep 30, 2018
4 contact brick like that might be a rectifier but the model you mentioned has DC power adapter (AC-DC not AC-AC) so it should not be needed. It might be a coil pack. Might be something else.
Component level repairs are more complicated than just checking voltages everywhere and replacing stuff blindly. Look for boardview or schematics for your model.
Oh yes. I have spent a great deal looking for schematics without luck. I visited a couple of sites but fled as soon as i saw a Norton pop up saying it had blocked an attack or something along those lines

humzy12

Great
BANNED
Jun 6, 2020
1: open and replace with any same size coil from donor board.
2: check youtube for injecting voltage ( find short )
3: use a battery aa battery that is enough to find the problem just connect it to power input and use fingers and touch components to find out which part is getting heated and get it out.
a laptop charger has protection circuit this is why it will not work whereas a bench dc support or any battery will work.
4:use dc power supply inject 1v 0amps to find the shorted part using a finger or thermal camera.
5: more likely one of those mofsets is gone open them all test it.

Last edited:
Oh yes. I have spent a great deal looking for schematics without luck. I visited a couple of sites but fled as soon as i saw a Norton pop up saying it had blocked an attack or something along those lines
Your best bet is taking it to a tech. If it is indeed a coil pack, it is not the problem. Moreover, what makes you think it needs to have any potential? What if it is a grounding point for something or something else is bad and has a connection to it? That's not a way to diagnose. Unless you have lots of experience and can identify typical circuits, you would need a diagram to make sense out of it even if you do know electronics.

And please, do not do any of that stuff:
3: use a battery aa battery that is enough to find the problem just connect it to power input and use fingers and touch components to find out which part is getting heated and get it out.
a laptop charger has protection circuit this is why it will not work whereas a bench dc support or any battery will work.
4:use dc power supply inject 1v 0amps to find the shorted part using a finger or thermal camera.

Watching youtube videos will not make you become a tech from scratch, do not take it as something negative, I am not critiquing. I do not see a way to stress it more...
...and maybe together you will figure it out.

Last edited:

rustedmetal

Reputable
Sep 30, 2018
Your best bet is taking it to a tech. If it is indeed a coil pack, it is not the problem. Moreover, what makes you think it needs to have any potential? What if it is a grounding point for something or something else is bad and has a connection to it? That's not a way to diagnose. Unless you have lots of experience and can identify typical circuits, you would need a diagram to make sense out of it even if you do know electronics.

Watching youtube videos will not make you become a tech from scratch, do not take it as something negative, I am not critiquing. I do not see a way to stress it more...

Well, you weren't wron
I have seen things like this but it concerns me a bit if you think about how this overheating will affect the components long term...i don't know. But i was definitely thinking about it.

rustedmetal

Reputable
Sep 30, 2018

Well, you weren't wrong. It definitely wasn't that component in question the problem seemed to have been something else which i don't want to mention because it is embarrassing. But anyway, it's working now, i just need a couple of other things and should be good to go. On a different note, youtube does help so if we don't have time for school how else are we supposed to learn a few things about this matter?