Question If I’m replacing my mobo should I use the same model or use the opportunity to upgrade?

Michael_1000

Reputable
May 7, 2016
I’ve come to the conclusion I have to replace my motherboard after my functional Psu stopped delivering power even with the 24 pin and 8 pin connectors plugged in.
My model is an ASRock H110m-DGS. (Processor is an i3-6100)
My first thought would just be to get the same one, but the reason I’m having second thoughts is that the local pc repair guy told me ASRock was a crappy mobo maker and if possible, get another brand, but I’ve never heard that opinion before. For context, the mobo only stopped working after 3 years.
Should I just get the same model? Should I get a different make and model? If so, what model? (<$70)

Your options are going to be seriously limited, as all of the 6th gen chipset motherboards have been out of production for many years now. You can use 7th gen motherboards, but that is as new as gets for compatibility with your CPU. 8th gen, even though they are the same socket designation, are not the same and are not compatible.

Reactions: Michael_1000
Also, the guy who told you ASRock was a crappy motherboard manufacture has his head up his ass and doesn't know what the hell he is talking about. ASRock is a terrific motherboard manufacturer, but just like ALL motherboard manufacturers they have both high end and low end offerings and when you buy a low end component, you get a low end component, and it's never going to last as long as if you pay for a higher tiered product.

What is your maximum budget for the motherboard replacement?

simpalak

Commendable
Jan 14, 2019
Get a cheap b350 mobo, with a Ryzen 3 1200 (yeah, even the R3 1200 is much better than that 1151 6th gen i3) and you will get almost double the performance. In other words, switch to AMD

That's an unwise suggestion and cannot be done for anywhere near the price that the motherboard can be replaced for. Suggesting a change of platform when all that is needed is a motherboard, especially a suggestion of changing to a CPU with WORSE performance, is not advisable.

That Ryzen 3 doesn't even COME CLOSE to the same single core performance as the i3-6100 and the multicore performance is BARELY better, certainly not double or anything even remotely close to it.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Ryzen-3-1200-vs-Intel-i3-6100/3029vs2617

Please refrain from making similar suggestions in the future. Thanks.

Reactions: DMAN999

Michael_1000

Reputable
May 7, 2016
What is your maximum budget for the motherboard replacement?
Ideally, no more than 70 dollars.
I can get a replacement h110m-dgs for 55 on Amazon (albeit amazon sells revision 3 and I don’t know what revision I have originally).
If there isn’t much advantage to another model above the price of the ASRock, i’d probably just get the ASRock. I wouldn’t find it wise to spend more money for incremental improvements.
For context, the only ports/slots I need are:
1 pci-e 3.0 x16
1 DDR4 ram stick
1 sata port
1 chassis fan
(and a cpu fan)
And then I imagine the USB and audio headers will come standard.
Of course, if anything I said was incorrect please correct me. I am very inexperienced in motherboard shopping.

Brand doesn't necessarily dictate quality. Tiering dictates quality, and you pay for the tier you want. When it comes to motherboards, you don't ALWAYS get what you pay for, when you buy an expensive board, but you ALWAYS get exactly what you paid for when you buy a cheap one.

Out of curiosity, what is the model of your case? Did you go with a microATX board before because that is all your case will support or because of price? Because sometimes a regular ATX board is the better option and may actually be less expensive, but that doesn't matter if it won't fit your case because the case is limited to micro ATX.

Reactions: Michael_1000

Michael_1000

Reputable
May 7, 2016
The case is an ATX (supports 12 x 9.6” and, of course, microATX), called the Thermaltake Versa H23 or something.
I think I went with the microATX because it was recommended to me.

This is what I'd recommend then based on this whole discussion. A few bucks more than you wanted to spend, BUT it is a moderately better quality board that your last one. It is a good option.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: ASRock - B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($83.25 @ Amazon)
Total: $83.25
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-20 00:37 EDT-0400

If you can spend a little more, this would be even better.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: ASRock - Z270 Killer SLI/ac ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $99.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-20 00:40 EDT-0400