[SOLVED] If I accidentaly yank the ethernet cable and the connector is metal, shielded, is there a greater chance of it damaging the ethernet port on the mobo?

dan1991Ro

Reputable
Oct 1, 2019
So i bought this patch cord that is shielded and has all the extras, because it was a good deal, i was pretty happy with myself, and then i read online some guy saying that he would never buy a cable like that because there is a greater chance of damaging either the router or the port on the motherboard if its accidentally yanked and that killed my mood.Is there truth to this?I am a pretty clumsy, unorganized person and i may do just that, plus people are around my pc sometimes(family) and i cant control their actions.

So is there a greater risk of the ethernet port on my mb or router getting damaged due to the metal rj45 connectors vs if they were just plastic ones?

Thanks a lot!

Solution
It is pretty much just a shiny cable for people who like shiny things.

They have no technical benefit unless you have a very rare type of equipment that has a tab internal to the jack to ground to the shell and you have the other end also hooked to something that has a special ground. It is a cable that is only used in very specialized data centers. For a home user it is a way to con someone into spending more money than they have to by confusing them with tech speak.

I don't think they are any stronger than plastic ones. Most the tab is plastic anyway just the shell is some kind of thin metal or plastic with a thin metal coating.

If you yank a cable you always take the risk of damaging something. You can actually pull...
It is pretty much just a shiny cable for people who like shiny things.

They have no technical benefit unless you have a very rare type of equipment that has a tab internal to the jack to ground to the shell and you have the other end also hooked to something that has a special ground. It is a cable that is only used in very specialized data centers. For a home user it is a way to con someone into spending more money than they have to by confusing them with tech speak.

I don't think they are any stronger than plastic ones. Most the tab is plastic anyway just the shell is some kind of thin metal or plastic with a thin metal coating.

If you yank a cable you always take the risk of damaging something. You can actually pull the computer off the table if for example your dog get tangled in it. It takes a lot of force to break the tab any ethernet cable so I doubt there is much difference.

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
And I will suggest that you allow some extra length to the cables. Maybe 3 to 4 feet.

Loosely coil the cable up and keep the cable as neat and as free as possible. A bright color for visibility is also good.

The extra slack may save the connected device if the cable is indeed inadvertently yanked in some manner.

A stretched out tight cable or cord of any sort is an accident waiting to happen.

i read online some guy saying that he would never buy a cable like that because there is a greater chance of damaging either the router or the port on the motherboard if its accidentally yanked and that killed my mood.Is there truth to this?
Doesn't really matter, if you yank out cable with plastic connector or connector with metal shielding. You'll cause damage either way.
Don't do it.